PDA

View Full Version : A Guide to Lushious Stems

ILuvMyGoldBarb
04-04-2008, 12:37 AM
Have you ever looked at a beautiful dutch setup and wondered how they got that beautiful look out of something as common as Rotalla roundifollia? How did they get those stem plants to look so full and rich? Well, it doesn't happen overnight, it takes time and work.
Achieving that nice full look from your stem plants requires 2 types of pruning. First, you will need to trim the tops of the plants and snip each new branch close (how close depends on how full a look you want. As you cut each of these it will cause the plant to branch. The more you cuts you make the more they will branch. After a short time you can have 10-20 branches coming from the main stem. Second, to maintain this nice rich full look, trimming from the bottom will become necessary. To do this you pull the plant out from the roots and trim the necessary amount from the bottom of the plant and then replace it in the substrate. Finally, you will reach a point where you simply have too many plants to maintain the look. At this point it will become necessary to dispose of some of the stocks. here's where you get a chance to cover some of your costs. You can sell these plants online or to local hobbyists. Some stores may even be interested in taking some of them. However if none of those are an option please be sure to dispose of them properly. Some of the plants we keep can survive in our native habitats and can be invasive species. Be sure the plants are disposed of in a method that ensures that this will not happen.

xoolooxunny
04-04-2008, 12:39 AM
I dont have small enough snips for that kind of pruning! I'll be sure to add it to my list of things to buy when i get my tax refund!

squirt_12
04-04-2008, 12:40 AM
Great Guide GB! That was really helpful. So will this method work with any stem plant?? How do you know when to prune the plant?

xoolooxunny
04-04-2008, 12:41 AM
Great Guide GB! That was really helpful. So will this method work with any stem plant?? How do you know when to prune the plant?

whatever height you want the plant, thats your first cut.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
04-04-2008, 12:43 AM
It will work for most stem plants. Ammania Gracillis doesn't seem to branch by pruning but for many stems it will work

squirt_12
04-04-2008, 12:45 AM
How about something like red ludwigia?? How far down would you have to prune it in order for it to become bushier??

Lady Hobbs
04-04-2008, 12:54 AM
That one is my problem plant. Looks OK and grows like crazy but gets long and leggy with tiny leaves at the bottom. Cut it off, grows again, and tiny leaves at the bottom again. Maybe I need to trim more often?

xoolooxunny
04-04-2008, 01:10 AM
How about something like red ludwigia?? How far down would you have to prune it in order for it to become bushier??

red lugwigia (ludwigia repens, right?) would work great.

squirt_12
04-04-2008, 01:12 AM
red lugwigia (ludwigia repens, right?) would work great.
Yes. Ok. I think I might actually go and prune them now. They should get pruned. Then do I just stick the prunes in the gravel and they will grow roots??

ILuvMyGoldBarb
04-04-2008, 01:12 AM
Actually sounds you don't have enough light for it Hobbs. The above techniques will work with ludwigia.

Lady Hobbs
04-04-2008, 01:15 AM
Yea.......was feared of that one, GB. I know they like a bit more light than I have. I think I will have to bit the bullet and get me a better light for that tank and leave the 130 watt for just low light plants.

Algenco
04-04-2008, 01:22 AM
Great info! Thats my favorite method, I love turning ludwigia, hygro, wisteria,etc into bushesthumbs2:

Lady Hobbs
04-04-2008, 01:46 AM
What I wish for...........a couple click on lights that will give me just a bit more lights without going overboard with expense. I see the little clip-ons but they offer up very little in wattage and probably not very useful for what I need of them.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
04-04-2008, 03:03 AM
wattage isn't as important as PAR Hobbs. As long as the lights provide enough Photosyntheticly Available Radiation you're fine.

Wild Turkey
04-04-2008, 04:40 AM
Ive got some experience in hydroponics, this is the same method you would use for thickening above water plants. But what about the clones? Will they just grow a root if you leave them in the water? In hydro we had to cut the stem under water (obviously not a problem) at a slant and then put it into a chemical to make it grow roots. How would you do it for aquatic plants?

ILuvMyGoldBarb
04-04-2008, 05:01 AM
Mine have always simply rooted again when placed back in the substrate. Stem plant propogation is almost always done by clippings like that.