PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Shrimp

jwurm
04-03-2008, 09:43 PM
I recently bought 2 cherry shrimp from my lfs and I was wondering something. I've read that most Cherry Shrimp that you buy will more than likely be female because they are more vividly colored. However, it has been a week or so since I got them and they've settled in... one is red and one is more pinkish...

Is it at all possible that the lighter colored one is a male? I've named them Phil and Lil so it would be appropriate, but I was just wondering if anyone's ever encountered a male cherry shrimp before.

Fishalicious
04-03-2008, 10:25 PM
How many male shrimp ya want? LOL I have hundreds of cherry's male & female - the males are smaller and a lot paler - they also tend to swim around a lot more than the females. Females are also bulkier built and fatter.

I hope you have a male & female - in no time (well they carry for 28 days) but after that you'll have loads :19:

jwurm
04-04-2008, 03:00 AM
Cool! I haven't noticed any size differences (mostly because I usually can only see one at any given time... they are so good at hiding). I'm also not sure on the swimming behavior... I'll have to keep an eye open!

Pr0eve
04-13-2008, 10:13 PM
I know old thread, but same topic. how often do cherry spawn?

Fishalicious
04-13-2008, 11:15 PM
As often as the females can't get away from the males LOL The ladies carry the eggs for around 28 days and can breed again straight away. Just look at them as the liverbearers of the invertebrates :hmm3grin2orange:

jbeining75
04-13-2008, 11:17 PM
I agree.... If you got alot of males in there you will have a baby factory going on.... Kinda like guppies with more males than females. She will always be carrying....

Pr0eve
04-15-2008, 03:47 AM
I was hoping for that.. but, the two carrying females I had gave birth lack of a better word. and it has been about a week or so and still no go..

plus some are turning clear in color.. but the one in my 55 are looking good and healthy. just not the ones in my 6G shrimp breeder tank...