PDA

View Full Version : Need answers

FINWHIPPED
11-01-2006, 06:23 PM
Hi, I'm new to fishkeeping and have lots of questions that needs answering. I have a small aquarium with two adult convicts who just had a lot of babies. They hatched on 23/10/06. At what age??? must I move them to another aquarium? How will waterchanges affect the babies as the tank has to be cleaned. I'm feeding them brine shrimp and finely crushed flakes, is that ok?

Lady Hobbs
11-01-2006, 10:37 PM
I also posted you in the other thread but will do so again. Convicts get around 6 inches and need room to swim about. I don't know the size of your tank but aggression can be held back with more room and hiding spaces.

I don't have a Convict and not sure of their breeding habits.....if they eat their young or are good parents. Perhaps someone can jump in here with better answers for you.

Lady Hobbs
11-01-2006, 10:39 PM
http://www.aquariumfish.net/information/raising_baby_fish_2.htm

Juannie
11-02-2006, 01:16 AM
I've had convicts before who bred like rabbits (that was only 1 pair). They would attack anything else in their tank so they needed to be in their own one. I had them in a 2 foot tank and they lived quite happily with their babies until they grew to a reasonable size. I never took them out & there was never a problem. I would recommend leaving the babies in the tank and watch the parents, if they're going to kill them off put the babies into a separate tank. I never played around with the water, they were very very hardy fish and nothing seemed to affect them too much. They are amazing parents and take care of their young exceptionally well.
Best of LUCK! They're awesome fish but just don't have a breeding pair in with others - they will kill them (that's from experience).

Fishguy2727
11-02-2006, 03:01 AM
You can remove them anytime before the parents decide they shouldn't be in there, at which point they will start to kill them. They will do fine with the water changes just like the other fish, just keep an eye on them because it is easier for them to be accidentally sucked up in the tube. I would feed the parents high quality cichlid pellets and the babies Hikari Guppy Food, then TetraMin Pro Crisps (crumbled at first and then whole), then baby sized Hikari Cichlid Gold, and so on.

FINWHIPPED
11-06-2006, 07:57 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I witnessed their agression firsthand when I just got them. I put 2 females in the tank with the male but had to remove one female as the other 2 chased her around nonstop. They have the tank to themselves now and they seem happy enough. Next question: Are discus realy that hard to keep? Bought four and one just keeled over and died!! The four would group together and kinda fall over on their sides - like a stack of wafers. Is that normal?

Fishguy2727
11-07-2006, 01:46 AM
If the discus are tiltign they are very stressed. Discus are nto as bad as many think of them, but there are a few essentials. Could you describe the setup? (pH, hardness, temp, tankmates, filtration, water change schedule, decor, diet, size, etc)