PDA

View Full Version : How To Treat Driftwood?

rowenna7
04-03-2008, 06:05 PM
I just went hunting for a perfect piece of driftwood, and found a really nice large piece for my 55gal that I in the process of setting back up. The driftwood was found at the edge of the water in the Mississippi River. Naturally I am concerned about how to treat it so my future fish don't have any problems from it. I'm planning on taking a power sprayer to it, and I've heard that soaking it to get the tannins out is a good idea as well. I'm not sure if I have a bucket quite big enough to soak it in, so will have to look around for that. Should I use any bleach? And is there anything else I should be aware of make it safe for my tank? I'd love to hear what others have done with their found driftwood! Thanks!

PUNISHER VETTE
04-03-2008, 06:12 PM
boiling it usually comes up....

Sasquatch
04-03-2008, 06:22 PM
Boiling is the usual way ... though if it's really big that can be a challenge. Putting it in a large bucket and repeatedly pouring boiling water on it should do the trick.

I'd avoid using bleach. It'll soak into the wood and be a real PITB to get out again. It also has a tendency to break down organic tissue ... so it could soften or damage the wood.

This idea just sprung into my head ... maybe going over it with one of those mini steam cleaners would work? Be certain to go over it really well, it should do the trick.

PUNISHER VETTE
04-03-2008, 06:24 PM
Boiling is the usual way ... though if it's really big that can be a challenge. Putting it in a large bucket and repeatedly pouring boiling water on it should do the trick.

I'd avoid using bleach. It'll soak into the wood and be a real PITB to get out again. It also has a tendency to break down organic tissue ... so it could soften or damage the wood.

This idea just sprung into my head ... maybe going over it with one of those mini steam cleaners would work? Be certain to go over it really well, it should do the trick.

never thought of the steam cleaner.... but i don't know if that would work either. Since usually the steam is not supposed to be water but steam.... i don't know..

Tooch
04-03-2008, 06:46 PM
If it's too large to boil, the next best thing would be to give it a salt bath. Soak it in a strong salt solution for a week, about 1tbs/gal. I think Kosher salt is ok to use. After that, soak it in freshwater for another week, doing large daily water changes to remove the salt. The tannins aren't the thing to worry about, as it is harmless to the fish. You want to be sure to kill any bacteria or critters living in it that could mess up your tank. The tannin will only give your tank a dark color. You could soak the wood for years, and there's a good chance you will not remove all the tannin in the wood. If you don't like the color it gives your tank, just do several small water changes throughout the week. Keep in mind, it will lower your pH slightly over time.

rowenna7
04-03-2008, 07:10 PM
There are some great suggestions here, thanks! This is a pretty large piece of driftwood, probably 3 feet or so long, so it would be difficult to boil. I never thought about the bleach being difficult to get out, so will probably end up going with the idea of using a salt bath on it. I'm not in a big hurry so I want to take the time to do it right. Should I dry it thoroughly before I do the salt soak? Just to kill any organisms that might be hanging on to it, or should I dry it afterwards? Or will the salt make it so I don't have to dry it out at all? This is the first time I've done this :)

PUNISHER VETTE
04-03-2008, 07:17 PM
I don't think you want to dry it as it could turn the wood into a cork type material that will never take on water very well again causing it to never sink...

Tooch
04-03-2008, 08:18 PM
Punisher is right. Definatly don't dry it. Just throw it in the salt bath for a week, then a freshwater bath for another week or 2. After that, give it a good scrub and chuck it in your tank!

Good luck!

dustinpedley
04-04-2008, 12:53 AM
this may sound dumb but would it fit in a dishwasher?

Just a crazy idea lol:11:

Lady Hobbs
04-04-2008, 12:57 AM
I do mine a bit different than most in here. Boiling would be the best but most wood you find won't fit in a cooker. I scrub what I find, fill a large trash can with the hottest water I can draw from the tap, and add a ton of salt (just table salt) to the water to kill any bugs. Leave it sit for a couple days and do this a couple times. Last day or two, water only.

Wood you buy in fish stores has already been processed. I do nothing with that.

xoolooxunny
04-04-2008, 01:05 AM
hobbs you stole my trashcan idea! My next suggestion would be one of those cheap kiddie pools from toys r us or something like that.

I never boiled mine, it came right out of the ground, and if i let it go 2 weeks w/o a water change (i know, it only happened ONCE!!) it turns into a murky darkness for the fish. But regular water changes keeps it all under control.

Lady Hobbs
04-04-2008, 01:10 AM
I didn't read the other posts before posting but I use the cheapie table salt for this. It's only for killing bugs so use the cheapie stuff. I dumped a whole container of salt in my first two trash cans full.

xoolooxunny
04-04-2008, 01:12 AM
I didn't read the other posts before posting but I use the cheapie table salt for this. It's only for killing bugs so use the cheapie stuff. I dumped a whole container of salt in my first two trash cans full.

oh no hobbs, i didnt mean you stole my idea from a post, just from my moth-eaten mind!

Lady Hobbs
04-04-2008, 01:17 AM
I didn't think you did. LOL I was talking about just using the plain of cheap salt and others were talking tank salt at a much less amount.

sailor
04-04-2008, 03:19 AM
How To Treat Driftwood?

I think you should treat it like any other person with love and respect lol

jphonger
04-04-2008, 03:57 AM
I just scrub it, and then pour boiling water over it...
I am fortunate enough to have a nice clean river behind the house... I could probably do nothing to the wood I find.
If you collect the wood from a less than pristine environment,using the methods described earlier will work well.