B. Firemouths breed in the open area's

A. Firemouths like temps higher 70's
B. Firemouths like temps low to mid 80's

A. You can tell males from females by their fins
B. You can only sex them at breeding time

Shall I go on?

cocoa_pleco
04-03-2008, 06:47 AM
i hate when that happens. one of the petsmarts here had fish like pea puffers labeled as community fish, and a month later almost half of the fish info sigs had the fishes aggression scratched out with permanent marker, changed to the correct info

Lady Hobbs
04-03-2008, 06:53 AM
It's aggravating, really. I know information will vary but for crying out loud, does it need to be in total opposite. Now I don't know if they breed in caves or in the open. Or breed easily or not. sheeesh I actually hope NOT because I don't want 300 of them.

digital3
04-03-2008, 06:59 AM
Ahhh the joys of the internets. That's what happens when everybody's got an opinion. It makes research... interesting, to say the least.

I bet Nana can set a lot of those facts straight.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
04-03-2008, 01:51 PM
That's the annoying part aobut the internet. Anyone can publish anything and it doesn't necessarily have to go through Peer evaluation at all. That's why I love books from reliable sources and good reliable magazines. You think Firemouth info is bad, try getting some real answers on keeping Discus!

Lady Hobbs
04-03-2008, 02:01 PM
This did not come from folks on a forum but from articles written. But, alas, articles are written by........ta-da........humans, aren't they?......and all humans don't have the answers.

jbeining75
04-03-2008, 02:03 PM
Welcome to the web where people are able to post whatever they so please. I have seen so many fish misnamed on the internet it is crazy. I have seen a jd or green terror called a Jewel cichlid, etc, etc, etc.....

angelcakes
04-03-2008, 02:05 PM
Welcome to the web where people are able to post whatever they so please. I have seen so many fish misnamed on the internet it is crazy. I have seen a jd or green terror called a Jewel cichlid, etc, etc, etc.....
i have to agree with you jb.........ive also seen it,misread,mispelt etc

cocoa_pleco
04-03-2008, 04:16 PM
i was looking for info on yellow tangs before i got mine, and i found this info

minimum tank size

site 1- 55g
site 2- 20g
site 3- 250g

drove me nuts

ILuvMyGoldBarb
04-03-2008, 04:19 PM
Wow, I definitely wouldn't trust site 2. Site 3 is overly concervative. 1 is close but still too small.

cocoa_pleco
04-03-2008, 04:26 PM
yeah, yellows need 90g+, i emailed site 2 just so that someone doesnt actually stick one in a 20g, but they ignored my email and never changed it

ive seen some sites label blue hippo tanks as 40g+ too, drives me nuts. if we're gonna steal a fish from nature, least we can do is give it a half decent tank

ILuvMyGoldBarb
04-03-2008, 04:30 PM
Agreed. It's bad enough ripping them from their home, but to then put them in a completely unsuitable environment is completely unacceptable.

cocoa_pleco
04-03-2008, 05:13 PM
especially since its pretty much impossible to breed tangs in captivity, and they go from a infinite gallon paradise to a little glass box

ILuvMyGoldBarb
04-03-2008, 05:19 PM
The problem doesn't so much lie with the breeding as it does with the raising of the young. The tanks exist for breeding them but young tangs go through such a long planktonic larval stage that it is pretty much impossible to keep them alive through it.

nanaglen2001
04-06-2008, 05:25 AM
It's aggravating, really. I know information will vary but for crying out loud, does it need to be in total opposite. Now I don't know if they breed in caves or in the open. Or breed easily or not. sheeesh I actually hope NOT because I don't want 300 of them.

Hi Hobbs and all the others...

The problem with Firemouths is, its a very variable animal, it may breed in caves but it may also breed in the open. Then it may breed every three weeks but after some sessions you may have nothing for a year. Then flaring...it depends on the mood, sometimes they flare at everything and everyone, then all of a sudden, they are sooooo docile.

It happens to me all the time. Just in the moment I have a non flaring and non breeding and very docile and peaceful time....but this can change withing a snipping of my fingers:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: Fish are just like us:hmm3grin2orange:

But its really pretty annoying which informations you got from the net and books. I always read some of the stuff, and pick out the middle like FMs need 27 degrees or they need 20 deg. C..I chose lets say 23 deg. C, and so on and so on. The rest is just wait and see, and maybe change a bit.

digital3
04-07-2008, 03:32 AM
Well Nana, I would trust you more than anyone. You have plenty of experience and your Firemouths are awesome.

Lady Hobbs
04-07-2008, 04:29 AM
Nana, it was so funny today with these guys. Everyone has been very happy with each other lately but today I added a different piece of wood to the tank. I didn't move their caves, just stuck the wood in. They all come out to do battle, just like that. It really was quite funny.

nanaglen2001
04-07-2008, 06:21 AM
Tja Hobbs, you changed something, and your guys just took the advantage to eventualy widen their territories even if its only for a few square centimetres:hmm3grin2orange: , by the way pretty normal FM behaviour.

and @ Digital...well thanks a lot:11: