PDA

View Full Version : Kribensis dying

Juannie
04-03-2008, 12:22 AM
Does anyone know whether kribs are susceptible to disease? I tend to loose them very easily yet all my other fish in the tank are healthy. But... they also breed regularly so it's got me really confused. My pH levels keep dropping too low as well and I can't figure that out either. I'm trying to do regular water changes but it drops within a couple of days.

Incredulous_Ed
04-03-2008, 12:48 AM
Kribs are actually prety hardy fish. What size they in?

Nautilus291
04-03-2008, 12:52 AM
the rapid ph change might be your problem, how low does the ph drop, and what do you have in your tank that could be lowering your ph? Do you have a planted tank with co2?

Juannie
04-03-2008, 01:14 AM
The tank size is 5 foot x 1 foot x 15in. The tank has sand substrate one log (which has been in the same tank for 4 years). I have 2 severums, 1 firemouth, 1 white red tailed shark, a few tetras, 4 corys, 1 gibby pleco, 1 gourami. They have plenty of room and hiding places but it's only my kribs that are getting ill, they are gasping for air but the other fish aren't. I have no idea why my pH is dropping so long as I'm doing a water change at least once a week, perhaps I need to do 2? It is dropping quite low and the kribs get very pale and then overstressed. One pair is still breeding though so it's rather odd.

Incredulous_Ed
04-03-2008, 08:13 PM
Hmm. Add some crused coral to the filter or some limestone and se if that helps buffer the water.

Nautilus291
04-03-2008, 08:32 PM
Kribs like soft water and a pH of around 6 to 7, but I think its the pH drop that is killing your kribs. Kribs are known to breed in almost any condition so thats why they are still breeding. Like what ed said fix your pH problem with some crushed coral in the filter and I think your kribs will be all right.

Do you have any problems with your kribs fighting each other? Usually when you put more then one pair of kribs in a tank the fight each other for territory, but maybe since your tank is so long they are ok? Sounds like a neat tank though, do you have any pictures?

Juannie
04-04-2008, 04:36 AM
Kribs like soft water and a pH of around 6 to 7, but I think its the pH drop that is killing your kribs. Kribs are known to breed in almost any condition so thats why they are still breeding. Like what ed said fix your pH problem with some crushed coral in the filter and I think your kribs will be all right.

Do you have any problems with your kribs fighting each other? Usually when you put more then one pair of kribs in a tank the fight each other for territory, but maybe since your tank is so long they are ok? Sounds like a neat tank though, do you have any pictures?

Yes definitely the pH - it really sucks, I will try the crushed coral though. No problems at all with fighting, occassionally you'll see the odd fish chasing each other away from their hiding place but that is it. I guess because the tank is fairly long so it seems to be fine and I have lots of hiding places. I haven't taken any pics but will do so and load them up for sure. I actually have two of these tanks, they are in a steel frame with 2 long glass shelves underneath - very unique.

Thanks for all your help.

Incredulous_Ed
04-05-2008, 02:45 AM
Limestone will also raise hardness, thus buffering pH.