PDA

View Full Version : I got my Puffers

gwenkat
11-01-2006, 12:54 AM
I bought my 2 dwarf puffers today. They are so tiny!! So small that I can't tell the sex yet. They are soooo cute!! My husband named the larger one P-Diddy. Can you believe that? I also bought an oto to go with them. Just wanted to share, and naturally, any and all advice is welcome. Thanks guys.

kimmers318
11-01-2006, 10:43 AM
Congratulations on your puffers! I don't think it will take long before you are hooked on puffs! Have you had any issues with them eating yet? You did say you already had snails in the tank for them correct? So they are probably quite happy running around attacking them for now. Keep us posted on how all goes.

gwenkat
11-03-2006, 02:00 AM
I have fed them a few flakes and some freeze dried blood worms. Haven't seen them eat yet, but the food disappears. I did find an empty snail shell tonight. They are still so shy and cute. P-Diddy was checking out his little house earlier. I only have the 2 at the moment because they are too small to sex. Once I know what I have I will get another. How many can I keep in the 10 gallon? The only other fish is the oto.

Severus
11-03-2006, 03:42 AM
I would really like to get some puffers. Maybe put a few of them in a 29gal. Congratulations gwenkat

kimmers318
11-03-2006, 05:36 AM
I have 3 puffs in a 10 gal with an oto, & 2 african dwarf frogs. As for eating flake...keep in mind that dps seldom eat flake or freeze dried bloodworms. I believe I have heard of 1 person whose dp's eat flake. They definitely prefer the frozen bloodworms. Frozen brine and mysis shrimp work too for most. My original female wouldn't touch them until the other 2 came along. Keep an eye out for chubby bellies after feeding to indicate they are eating well. You will soon have cuties begging for food whenever you come near the tank!

gwenkat
11-04-2006, 03:19 PM
Thanks for the tips. I will go today and get some frozen brine and bloodworms. They are eating and have started exploring more. Caught them in their little houses this morning. They are so cute.

100GW - you should so get some!!

gwenkat
11-05-2006, 11:08 PM
I got some frozen mysis shrimp for my little guys. Here is my question - how much of the cube do I feed them? There are only 2 puffers and an oto right now and that looks like a lot of food. Also, do I defrost it first or just toss it in?

Severus
11-07-2006, 03:41 AM
100GW - you should so get some!!

Definitly want to. Just might not be too soon