PDA

View Full Version : Clown Rescue!!!

aquarius56
04-02-2008, 10:51 AM
I was in my lfs a week ago and there was 2 teensy weensy Clown Loach babies all by themselves. They were only about 3/4" long, if that...the cutest little guys I've ever seen :1luvu: Well, a lady in there said she'd take the pretty one, so that left the other one all by himself in a totally barren tank, no plants, no places to hide whatsoever!! :ssad: Well...anybody who knows anything about them, knows how much they love to hide and be in a family group! There he was tucked in the corner of the tank all by himself. :scry: It just broke my heart, so even though I swore I wouldn't get anymore fish until I upgraded to a 55g or more....I bought him!!! You should see him with my 3, they look like GIANTS next to him...lol...I was terrified one of my much larger Pictus cats would eat him but the big Galoots are afraid of him...go figure...It's hilarious to watch them dashing about to get away from him...lol..
He's doing fine, as far as I can tell, so far. I will keep everyone updated, ok!!

angelcakes
04-02-2008, 10:59 AM
i would have done the same i love clown loaches,my biggest now is 3-4 inches,i was just aswell you were about!!!:19:

smoochxoxo
04-02-2008, 12:19 PM
I saw to at the LFS...they look similar to cory cats right? I would really love them and were told they wouldn't get big very fast but I don't want to have to worry about a 100 gallon tank in my near future :) I think they are beautiful tho! Way to rescue that widdle one!
Hugs

Lady Hobbs
04-02-2008, 01:05 PM
I don't feel my loaches are growing at all until I see babies at the store, either. Then you realize they have grown but ever so slowly. I've wondered sincerely here when someone reported theirs were 8 inches at a year. ppfffttt I don't believe that one for a second. Mine get and eat everything and are darned lucky to be 3 inches at over a year.

angelcakes
04-02-2008, 01:08 PM
I don't feel my loaches are growing at all until I see babies at the store, either. Then you realize they have grown but ever so slowly. I've wondered sincerely here when someone reported theirs were 8 inches at a year. ppfffttt I don't believe that one for a second. Mine get and eat everything and are darned lucky to be 3 inches at over a year.
yeah right 8 inches a year who told you that poop(sorry) ive had mine for two years and the biggest is 3-4 inches,were did they get there information from the back of a milk carton??:hmm3grin2orange:

Lady Hobbs
04-02-2008, 01:46 PM
I told you who.......in private.

BillyVille
04-02-2008, 01:55 PM
Are these fish bottom feeders?

sailor
04-02-2008, 02:03 PM
I wish I saved the pics, I picked up 5 tiny little clown loaches about a year ago. The biggest was maybe 3/4 of an inch and the smallest about 1/2 inch. I kept them in a home made breeders net on the side of my tank for about 3 months. Then moved them into their own tank. They thrived and did great, the biggest now is about 3 inches and the smallest about 2. I have since added another 6 and just love them. I keep the origional 5 in my frontosa tank and the other ones in my tropheus tank. Yes they are mostly bottom feeders but will come to the surface with the rest when it is treat time.

jbeining75
04-02-2008, 02:36 PM
I want some clown loaches they just would get picked on in my two 55 gallons... They'd be food in my Oscartank. My GT/Texas Cichlid tank is still small though. Only problem cichlids will grow faster than the loaches.... Congrats on the solo rescue....

Lady Hobbs
04-02-2008, 03:19 PM
It amazes me but my Firemouths don't bother with the clowns at all nor the corys. Surpised me that having corys and clowns together would work, too! But let my drop in my featherfins and it's a war zone! The Firemouths do not like those Featherfins at all nor do my Blood parrots.

My clowns eat bananas, watermelon, algae pellets, green beans, broccoli, romane lettuce, squash, cukes, oranges, etc, but won't eat a pea for the life of them. Or califlower. This does not include the flakes, blood worms, etc.

They eat very, very well but no way do I expect them to ever get as large as so stated they get .........a foot. If so, I expect it would take years and years and maybe to the 20 years they are said to live. By that time, I will be no more and someone else will have them so I don't concern myself with it.

They do have growth spurts but unless they have a humgunous tank or are in wild, I just don't see that kind of growth.