PDA

View Full Version : Is this crazy?

NickFish
04-01-2008, 09:08 PM
Well I'm moving out now, getting my own house next year! (sorry in advance for the long post)

And the first thing I want to get, when I save up enough of course, is a BIG tank. My parents will never let me have anything over 100 gallons, but that's gonna change with no parents around! Hooray!

So, out with the 10 and 30 gals and in with the 400+.

Not sure how big the tank will be yet, but definitely over 400 gallons, more likely in the 500 range.

Now for the stocking......
Asian arowana is a must have
But what about tank mates? I really want to have a discus tank, could I do 2-in 1 and mix discus with arowana, or is this just crazy? I think a big school of 6 or 7 discus could stand up to and arowana in a tank that big, asians are relatively peaceful compared to other arros are they not? And of course I live in Canada so its all legal!!! (YAY!!)

So what do you guys think? Of course I'll have a ton of filtration, I'm thinking a couple FX5s and maybe 110s, or I'll could just hook up a pool filter...1000g wet/dry might do the trick.

What do you guys think about mixing discus and asian arowana in a 500 gallon tank?

Halelorf
04-01-2008, 09:25 PM
Read articles from this website. http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/ They are all about large tanks and big fish. I've never had the tank space to even consider a arowana long term, so i've never had one. However I think it would end up trying to eat the discus so I would recommend against it. For tank mates I know i've seen some videos on youtube that show others arowana tanks and list what else they have in them. You should look through the website and youtube. Hope that helps!

jbeining75
04-01-2008, 09:25 PM
Wait a sec aren't asian arowanas critically exstinct on the IUCN Red List...... Are you sure Nick you can have them.....

Fishalicious
04-01-2008, 09:32 PM
It's not really advisable... I know of people having both but Discus are such calm natured fish that really thrive on a quiet calm tank with no fast swimmers. I can't see Discus being very happy with an Arowana in the tank.. just my thoughts

Tolley
04-01-2008, 09:40 PM
Arowanas and Discus just dont look right together either.. I saw a tank on ebay looked real nice until you see the arowana on the top. Don't suit

Rue
04-01-2008, 09:42 PM
As a parental unit AND a fish-fan...

Might I suggest you go with a 240 g first?

Anything bigger is really REALLY big...

siymdapolio
04-01-2008, 09:43 PM
Arowanas and Discus just dont look right together either.. I saw a tank on ebay looked real nice until you see the arowana on the top. Don't suit
LOL yeah tolley! That guy was redicilious the discus and Arowana look horrible!
There are quit a selection of arowanas and you can purchase them for about 40 dollars when they are infants.

siymdapolio
04-01-2008, 09:45 PM

Woot! woot! if you can afford it why not! Except problems that can happen for instance treating a 35 gallon tank with a parasite and treating one for a 400 gallon... That would suck and be expensive!

NickFish
04-01-2008, 10:14 PM
It's not really advisable... I know of people having both but Discus are such calm natured fish that really thrive on a quiet calm tank with no fast swimmers. I can't see Discus being very happy with an Arowana in the tank.. just my thoughts
I do see what you mean...I'm just throwing this out there, I haven't gotten the fish yet. I'm still considering all the stocking possiblities, it is more likely that I'll go with some larger cichlids instead, like an oscar, maybe jags or acaras. The possibilities are endless with cichlids. Or I could just put 2 arros in there, asians aren't as big as their silver cousins.

Lol, parental unit! Well mom, I know that the this is big, but don't worry, I will go slowly, and carefully, I do appreciate the concern. Well, if it's any consolation, at the pet store I work at I help maintain the tanks, including the 100+ gallon arowana tanks and the 200 gallon SA show tank, and the 100 gallon mbuna tank, and the 350 gallon oscar/rtc tank, maybe this knowledge could help me out a little here, but for the most part it is a new experience for me, and I'll try and learn as much as I can as I go on.

Wait a sec aren't asian arowanas critically exstinct on the IUCN Red List...... Are you sure Nick you can have them.....
Yes they are, which is why they are illegal in the US. However, the arowanas here are all captive bred, and in Canada, completely 100$ legal. in fact, we have 2 asian arowanas at the petstore I work at for sale. Beautiful fish, hopefully they will come to the US soon, it's quite a sight to see a 3ft super red "flying" around a tank.

Woot! woot! if you can afford it why not! Except problems that can happen for instance treating a 35 gallon tank with a parasite and treating one for a 400 gallon... That would suck and be expensive!
True that, but in this big tank there will also be big fish, and I can't imagine more than 4-6 fish total in there. I gotta get me a python! You can be sure I'll buy the best treatments though, silver arowanas may be $40 but a quality bred asian arowana won't be under $500, and we have one at my lfs for $3000. When I start university I get an extra 2 months of vacation that I can use to work extra long. Better start saving up!

Thanks for all the replies!

jbeining75
04-01-2008, 10:16 PM
I see I see... Nice looking fish. Very big but nice.

siymdapolio
04-01-2008, 10:23 PM
I see there! You got to keep us updated! Would love to hear how your are going to plan and hopefully we can help :thumb:

NickFish
04-01-2008, 10:52 PM
This won't be for at least another 2 years, so hang tight everyone!

~Erik3.8.07~
04-01-2008, 11:34 PM
just throwin an idea out there but it would look incredible if you had a giant school of like 100 neons and cardinals in a tank that size, just a thought :c3:

Ocellaris
04-02-2008, 01:47 AM
Just make sure what ever house you do get, make sure it can handle a tank of that caliber. It's nice to have a huge tank, but if permanent damage to the house is an issue, then I would scale back. You better have the time for the entire day when you do water changes and clean the tank.

TowBoater
04-02-2008, 01:56 AM
Another thing, get a house with a concrete floor to live in so you don't have to worry about floor support. Next is you have to consider your new massive water bill. I don't advise a tank that big to someone just moving out.

NickFish
04-02-2008, 11:28 AM
Another thing, get a house with a concrete floor to live in so you don't have to worry about floor support. Next is you have to consider your new massive water bill. I don't advise a tank that big to someone just moving out.

Hmmmmm...something else to think about.....
Well i would put it in the basement which has a concrete floor. But like I said, I wouldn't be getting this for at least another 2 years, but probably longer.
I'm going into university to become a doctor, so hopefully after I graduate and find a job I can support my tanks much better. And I did get a partial scholarship and I already have saved up enough throughout my life to easily pay for my part of the tuition.
Thanks, you guys have given me a lot to think about in this, and in all likely hood I may have to take down a tank or two. I know I'm taking down two of my 10g's, those DPs are driving me crazy and I have a buyer that is willing to pay more than I originally paid for them, so I figure I should sell them while I can make a small profit, and before they kill each other. And the random fish tank needs to go, I need to find a home for those fish, or at least stop adopting them.
I remember, I work at a pet store so 13% discount on everything. That could help out a tiny bit, or so I hope.

TowBoater
04-02-2008, 11:58 AM
Yea I plan to be a dentist when I graduate from college. Main reason is dentist usually have a big fishtank.

NickFish
04-02-2008, 08:29 PM
Yea I plan to be a dentist when I graduate from college. Main reason is dentist usually have a big fishtank.

Lol, good reason!

I first tried to be a dentist but man, you wouldn't believe how hard it is to get in! I have low to mid 90s, with my worst mark last semester a 90% and still can't get in. Maybe if I tried harder and maybe volunteered around the community I could get in, but I think I'd like being a family doctor more, even if they make slightly less on average, still a good paying job and I am proud of myself. And I could put a betta in my office no problem!

Rue
04-02-2008, 08:31 PM
Two years still? Geeze...I taking back the house warming present I got you...

TowBoater
04-03-2008, 12:23 AM
Here you can get in Dentistry school easier. I am going for it because I am guaranteed a full ride in college no matter what now rather it be for academics or football.

NickFish
04-05-2008, 10:46 AM
Here you can get in Dentistry school easier. I am going for it because I am guaranteed a full ride in college no matter what now rather it be for academics or football.

Lucky.
I had a full sports scholarship but I turned it down for my partial acedemic one because I really don't want to go to the states (no offense) and because the school I want to go to is a little better I think. Well, I should just be glad I even got a scholarship I guess, good luck Kuli!

Rue
04-06-2008, 04:07 PM
What sport?

NickFish
04-11-2008, 11:40 AM
Hockey!!!!