PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone cool their tank down in the summer?

Axis of Weasel
04-01-2008, 08:15 PM
its spring now (yay!) and soon it'll be the first time I'll spend a summer with a aquarium, as I setup my tanks this winter.

my apartment is unusually warm (and I cant control the heat), so even in winter I never needed to heat my tank (its ~80F as is)

does anyone cool their tank in the summer? I'm afraid of what will happen in the summer when it gets stiflingly hot in my apt even with the windows open full.

how does one cool their tank? ice cubes :D?

helot13
04-01-2008, 08:25 PM
I used to cool my tank with ice when I had coldwater fish, but tropical fish can take the heat.

Tooch
04-01-2008, 08:27 PM
I've never actually done anything to cool the tanks down, but have speculated on it. My fish have never died or anything from it, but it was also before I've become worried not just about them dying, but being comfortable. In larger tanks, you wouldn't have to worry so much, as the greater amount of water will keep the temp more stable, but what about the 10gallon tanks?

I've read that some people melt ice cubes in theirs.
Would it be best to stick the ice cubes in the filters so it could gradually melt and there and spread around the cool water?

Rue
04-01-2008, 08:28 PM
I would've needed a chiller to keep golfish upstairs in our house - no AC...

So I moved the tank into the basement...now it's all good.

My SW tank is in the basement for the same reason.

However, the tropical tank is upstairs (house heats up past 90 F during our summer heat wave) and has managed just fine.

Lady Hobbs
04-01-2008, 08:32 PM
My apartment gets the full sun all day and the brick really heats it up inside. Last year I finally invested in a window air unit for $125. I also have fans going and deflect the sun away from the apartment by putting foil up on my windows. Helps a great deal and keeps my tanks now a comfortable temp for my fish and also for me.

Adrian
04-01-2008, 08:33 PM
Well, right now, it is 85 outside, yet on my screened in patio, where my 55 is set up, it is 90 degrees.

I plan on keeping bluegill in that 55 gallon tank, so I am sure I will have to find someway of cooling the tank down. I don't know if it can be done yet, so I will have to wait and see. Does keeping the cover off of a tank help keep it cooler? Heat rises, so I don't know if venting it will help.

Any ideas?

helot13
04-01-2008, 08:38 PM
Yes. taking the top off will allow for more evaporation thus more cooling. Other than creating a chiller with a refrigerator, or buying one outright, keeping the water temp cool is not easy. Ice only lasts so long, and really only cools effectively while it's melting. I would try to shield it from direct sun as much as possible, and you could try to insulate the sides with styrofoam to keep the temperature more stable.

drawnon
04-01-2008, 08:46 PM
i tried using ice cubes once. i dont like the idea of untreated water going into the tank. my mollies and bettas are pigs and try to eat the cubes which are twice thier size. so i started using a plastic water bottle, frozen, so the water never goes into the tank. i cant remember who, but some one from this board suggested that to me last year. i live on the 3rd floor so it gets hot during the day when were at work and the air conditining is off. it works great for me.
:27:

jbeining75
04-01-2008, 08:48 PM
I keep my tanks near windows that ac units go in. The ones upstairs I may have problems with though. I will be chilling the water all summer I fear as the temperature will daily exceed 90-95 degrees farenheit daily... It will be 100 or more upstairs... I may have to relocate my two ten gallons downstairs for the summer. The 37 gallon will be the problem...

Lady Hobbs
04-01-2008, 08:49 PM
I did the ice too but frozen plastic bottles of ice and put the whole bottle in the tank. Melts slower and lasts longer.

Adrian
04-01-2008, 08:52 PM
I did the ice too but frozen plastic bottles of ice and put the whole bottle in the tank. Melts slower and lasts longer.

Will those also work for a 55 gallon tank? How many do you think I will need?

cocoa_pleco
04-01-2008, 08:56 PM
ive never had to, all of my tanks are in the basement and its a constant temperature down there

siymdapolio
04-01-2008, 10:21 PM
ive never had to, all of my tanks are in the basement and its a constant temperature down there
Dang you Cocoa!!!!!!!!!!!
Haha I think i will be having this problem as well EEEKKK thank god for this thread! Woot!

sailor
04-02-2008, 02:30 AM
I use 4 lt milk jugs or 2 lt pop bottles filled with water and frozen as well. I also use a fan to blow across the top of the aquarium. I up the air from the pumps to the tanks and manage to keep my aquariums in the mid 80's during our heat waves. keeping the lights off as much as possible helps as well.

Mvjnz
04-02-2008, 02:43 AM
If you don't have a hood, you can set a fan to blow across the water surface. Never tried it, but I know people who have.

I've never need to cool my tank, even tho the day temp is about 32 degrees. The water temp has stayed between 27 and 29 all summer.

smaug
04-02-2008, 02:43 AM
My planted tank gets to around 88deg or so in the summer.Thats the time of year I have algae troubles.

sharkbite
04-02-2008, 03:15 AM
This is my first summer with aquariums too and this is a very helpul and interesting subject since those chillers are so so so expensive but the frozen water bottle sounds really good even though I would like to upgrade my ten for a twenty gal so it'll be easier to maintain a constant temp. and also the fans should work.

Incredulous_Ed
04-02-2008, 03:20 AM
well in the summer my heater never turns on, but i never need to cool down the tank. Unless the watergets over 90 (for most tropicals) you should be fine.

Wild Turkey
04-02-2008, 03:21 AM

Best cheap alternative ive heard by far. Otherwise make a cooler, take an old mini-fridge, or a cooler kept full with ice, get a powerhead and make sure u coil the tube around a bunch of times inside the cooler and run it back so it runs back into your tank. I wouldnt suggest taking the top off ur tank, although im quite sure it would help some with the temp this can cause problems, my tens dont have hoods yet cuz im trying to find a deal, and some days i'll see the water lvl drop half an inch just from evaporation. As well as stuff gets into the tank, especially hair if have cats/dogs. I wouldnt let the water get above 85 ever, lots of peoples fish have gotten cooked while they're away on vacation, thank the e-book for that little piece of info

Mvjnz
04-02-2008, 03:32 AM
If you have a small tank, you need to be REALLY careful with the frozen bottles. They will cool the tank way too much. Try with a couple of ice cubes first and check the temp, then gradually increase the amount of ice until the temp is right. Don't wanna freeze the fishies:)

Dsoto87
04-02-2008, 04:41 AM
I Live in San Francisco so summers arent really summers here....rarely gets up past the mid 80s which is still fine for my cichlids

Drumachine09
04-02-2008, 04:44 AM
Actually, with some freon, copper tubing, and a condenser unit rigged up from an old fridge, a DIY chiller wouldn't be too terribly hard to make. I have no need for one though.

I should make them and sell them.

cocoa_pleco
04-02-2008, 04:46 AM
best part about my basement is i can setup a 20g tank or under without a heater, and the tanks a constant 78f. i only have a 250w heater on my 90g

mitcore
04-02-2008, 06:55 AM
yes i just have finshed the cool down, i had small CPU fans running on top of the water and it seemed to work just fine, my 55lt needs a small CPU fan running all the time at the moment i just cant keep it cool, hubby is working on something to permentally run in the tank to keep it cool, the angels spawn but eat the eggs cause they are fertilized because the water is too hot that it kills the sperm before it gets to the eggs, :-( which is why hubby is doing this radiator thingy, and no without him here i have no idea how to discribe it to you