PDA

View Full Version : Bluegill pellets?

Adrian
04-01-2008, 07:33 PM
All I see is pellets for goldfish, koi, and cichlids. I am not sure if any of these will work with bluegill. I would assume cichlid food would work, but I hate assuming.

Do any of you know if it will work? And what type should I buy?

Incredulous_Ed
04-01-2008, 07:54 PM
Cichlid pellets would work, because that what bluegill basically are. NLS would be the best for him though. You may have alot of trouble weaning him onto dry foods, so have some frozen foods handy.

rowenna7
04-03-2008, 04:04 PM
I just went into some of this kind of thing on another post, but I kept a bluegill for several years on mostly cichlid pellets, supplemented by occasional live foods. The bluegill was originally wild-caught and it did take a while to get it used to accepting non-live food so make sure you have feeder fish/worms/etc. available for a while until it learns to accept the pellets. Hope this helps!

Sasquatch
04-03-2008, 04:48 PM
I don't know much about cichlids, but aren't they largely vegetarian? If so, cichlid pellets wouldn't be the ideal for bluegills.

Bluegills are predators. In the wild they eat insect, crustaceans and small fish. When you feed them, it should reflect this. Things like Hikari Carnivore pellets, shrimp pellets, freeze dried tubifex cubes, plankton and mysids are ideal.