PDA

View Full Version : Tuffa Rock - Cichlids causing problems!

Cichlid_Man
10-30-2006, 01:33 PM
Hi,
I didn't know where to post this so I figured tank setup would be appropriate.

I have a 75 gallon tank with 8 small Cichlids.

I have used as part of my decorations, 3 large Tuffa Stones.
They help with PH for Cichlids and they also provide hiding spots.

Well, as small as these fish are, I see that my yellow labs are taking peices of the crushed coral substrate in their mouths, and moving the substrate, creating a large crater right next to one of the tuffa stones. I can actually see the aquarium glass bottom!

I am afraid that as these fish grow, the stone will fall over on them.
I don't know what to do.

I don't want to aggravate the substrate because I am still cycling the tank.

What to do???

Fishguy2727
10-30-2006, 02:00 PM
you have cichlids so you shouldnt have UGF, and since ytou said you can see the glass, i know you dont. so if you dont have an UGF, dont worry about the gravel screwing up the cycle (or throwing off a mature tank), especially if you are only messing with the substrate (as in you are not on the same day cleaning out all the media in all the filters). in africna cichlid tnaks it is a very good idea to first lay down egg crate under the substrate, then put any big rocks directly on the egg crate. egg crate is a plastic light diffuser to go over the fluorescent lights that are recessed into the ceiling. you can find them in the lighting department at lowes or home depot. it is very cheap and can save you a ton of money by helping distribute the weight of the rockwork across the entire bottom of the tank, not just a couple points where the rocks touch the glass. and in an emergency they help absorb and distribute the impact of a falling rock, again across the entire tank bottom, not just a couple points. if you are worried about them being trapped under or crushed by a falling rock, go ahead and try to net them out of the tank, they are VERY fast when they need to be and have very fast reactions. i dotn think ive heard of a single incident where someone lost african cichlids to a falling rock. im sure it happened, but it is so rare that i cant think of a single incident.

Lady Hobbs
10-30-2006, 02:10 PM
Could you use aquarium silicone and glue some of those rocks together so they can't fall? I was reading about cichlids (again) last night and read several places to prevent rocks from falling on them so guess it could happen.

Cichlids are great for moving and burrowing and disrupting the tank. Just their nature and especially when breeding.

Also read to feed small amounts several times a day to slow down aggression and to also add several new ones at once which will also hold down aggression as territorites haven't been formed yet.

My 2 cents worth.

Cichlid_Man
10-30-2006, 02:26 PM
Thanks...
I don't think I want to mess with taking the fish out and re-doing the tank.

I think what I'll do, since it is OK to move the substrate back in place without messing up the cycle, I'll re-position the substrate and get some flat river rock to sort of brace the Tuffa Stone. Either that, or I will lean it against the glass so it can't fall??

Thanks for your input

Daz"The Krib"
05-10-2009, 02:49 PM
hi there new to this site i have a pair of firemouths and blue rams in a 54ltr tank it is UGF ive been told putting tuffa rock in there would benefit them any advice

troy
05-10-2009, 02:53 PM
Well tuffa rock hardens the water so that wouldn't do any good for your rams.

Northernguy
05-10-2009, 03:21 PM
I use the rock in my tanks to raise the ph.The water here is almost acidic its so soft.I also have a nice peice of lime stone that helps to keep my ph up and stable.Tou can also use plexi under your substrate.
It will not hurt your cycle to cghange your rocks around the tank so the fish cannot knock them over.Just don't clean or remove anything as Fishguy said.

Daz"The Krib"
05-10-2009, 04:58 PM
so is the tuffa rock ok for the firemouths would i be better off putting the rams in with my kribs or community tank