PDA

View Full Version : Firemouth questions

Richled13
04-01-2008, 03:03 PM
Hello everyone, I am new here and I have a few questions about my firemouth. Thanks in advance for your help!

I added a small firemouth to my 29 gallon a little while ago. He (I say he, but I have no idea what gender it is) seems pretty happy, getting slightly more bold and coming out more when I am looking at the tank (at first he just hid behind a rock the whole time I was near). He is still very skittish, though.

My question is, what sort of fish can I/should I add to the tank? I'd like to get something in there that will make him feel safer, like a dither-type fish. I am worried about aggression though. I was also thinking maybe a smaller gourami but I hesitant on that because they might look too much like another cichlid. I was also curious about a mate (once I can sex this little guy). I know my tank might be too small for that at this point though. Some people have said a convict, but I am not sure that would be a good idea.

What can/should I do? It'd be great to get something else in there, but I also want to be responsible about it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

jbeining75
04-01-2008, 03:09 PM
Put another firemouth in there. Gourami I would not do. The aggression of the firemouth may be the demise of the gourami... Try some giant danios. They will dither the tank out.

Lady Hobbs
04-01-2008, 03:15 PM
I've had tetra's, gourami's and now have giant dianio's with him. I wouldn't rock the boat in that size tank. Easy to end up with 2 males that don't care for one another. They're a fish that get along better with others than their own.

jbeining75
04-01-2008, 03:18 PM
I guess it is just the firemouth lol.... I have never had luck with them except when together lol... Mine are always mean...... oh well..... haha

Richled13
04-01-2008, 03:27 PM
I've had tetra's, gourami's and now have giant dianio's with him. I wouldn't rock the boat in that size tank. Easy to end up with 2 males that don't care for one another. They're a fish that get along better with others than their own.

Sorry, I just want to be sure I understand what you mean. Basically, I could add some tetras, danios, or gouramis, but not another firemouth? Or did you mean don't add anything? Thanks!

Lady Hobbs
04-01-2008, 05:23 PM
They get around 5 inches so try two if you want with lots of hiding spots, rocks, plants, etc and still add some dithers.

Lady Hobbs
04-01-2008, 05:25 PM
I guess it is just the firemouth lol.... I have never had luck with them except when together lol... Mine are always mean...... oh well..... haha

Yea......and they say they are a mild cichlid. Mine are doing better because my tank is packed with rock and wood and I got rid of the one I called SOB. He was really bad!

Nick89
04-01-2008, 10:14 PM
Firemouths too me are very aggressive with their own kind. My firemouth picks on my other firemouth, but he and the oscar get along great, just as long as he gives my oscar his space lol.