PDA

View Full Version : Are German Rams Really Friendly?

WilliamT
10-29-2006, 11:58 PM
Hello Everyone!

I came across some information about German Blue Rams and it said that these fish are peaceful and can be kept in a community aquarium. The pictures are very beautiful but I have not heard of cichlids that are community fish! Is this really true??

I found some for sale here, http://www.johnnypets.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_31&products_id=30&osCsid=bd4f5924788e3693761e10f4ce2f9c35 and was wondering if these look like nice fish and if this is a good price for these fish. Any input would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

gwenkat
10-30-2006, 01:01 AM
Everything I have read says that they are peaceful. I was considering them for my community tank until I read Kimmers post one day. Seems like she has an onery one that won't get along with anything. I decided to stick with the tried and true community for now. I think at some point I will get some Rams, but not right now.

Fishguy2727
10-30-2006, 01:15 AM
with any fish there are exceptions. you will find neon tetras that harass other fish. rams are very peaceful and may stake out a territory that they may mildly defend against others. they are a great candidate for a comunity tank of tetras, barbs, and the like. one individual in no way represents a trend, and they are tried and true.

kimmers318
10-30-2006, 02:25 AM
My male was the ornery one...hence the name Demon. My females on the other hand were as placid as can be. My bolivian ram (who I believe is male) is supposed to be slightly more aggressive than the germans is also very placid and is named "Sissy". He is in a community tank and I was actually happy to see some "cichlid" behavior lately over algae wafers where he chased some of the others away. He had always been such a sissy! Each fish has their own personality....my rule of thumb that I go with now is "if this fish does NOT get along in the tank I am planning on housing it, is it a fish that I will be overly attached to and have to start ANOTHER tank, or is it something I would like to have, but if it doesn't work out I will be okay with returning". This has kept me from making alot of purchases because I am just not ready to deal with another tank at the moment, and any other purchases I wish to have in the future are fish that I don't think I would want to give up if it doesn't work.

Whitney
10-30-2006, 07:59 PM
My German Blue is relatively new, but so far I've had no problems with aggression. The little guy is very friendly with the other fish. I had serpae tetras that I had to get rid of because THEY were being too aggressive. At the moment, I have the ram, three diamond tetras, and 6 harlequin rasboras in a 30 gallon tank. They all get along very well and swim in the open water without fear or quibbles.

I can let you know if they continue to get along over the next several weeks.

Whitney
10-30-2006, 08:05 PM
I'd like to add that I have a lot of caves and hiding places for my ram to go. In addition, I don't believe that I will be getting more than one. Though I have read that they do fine in couple or in groups, my LFS told me that they can get a bit territorial when there are more than one in a tank.

I love my little ram, he comes right over to the glass and follows me whenever I'm by the tank.

WilliamT
11-01-2006, 01:16 AM
Thanks for the replies! I was thinking about getting 4 rams. I am a bit wary of putting them in my community tank but perhaps I will add them to my new tank which I plan to populate with green tiger barbs.

What other fish moght make a good compliment to this arrangement?

Also, did anyone see that website I posted above? I really like the pictures, but I don't know very much about rams and was wondering if these guys look good and are for a good price.

palabared
02-07-2007, 01:43 AM
right now they only sell two fishes, dragon and zebra danos

jeffs99dime
02-07-2007, 02:22 AM
right now they only sell two fishes, dragon and zebra danos

what does this mean?^^^^^

minabird
02-07-2007, 02:07 PM
what does this mean?^^^^^
Jeff-

If u r referring to palabared's post, it means they are out of stock of rams. I just checked the site and it said, "There are no products to list in this category." Then only fish they have in stock are danios and dragonfish.