PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Barbs

WilliamT
10-29-2006, 11:49 PM
Hello everyone!

I have always been a fan of barbs and have recently discovered green tiger barbs. I think I would like to add some of these green guys to my tank and found some for sale here: http://www.johnnypets.com/product_info.php?cPath=29&products_id=33&osCsid=bd4f5924788e3693761e10f4ce2f9c35

I was wondering if anyone had experience with this company and what everyone thought of the fish for sale there. Also, is this a good price for these guys?

Thanks in advance for any input!

CJ1
10-30-2006, 12:28 AM
Keeping tiger barbs can be tricky. keeping them by themselves is the easiest way. With other fish you want a group of at least 6-7 and in a tank of say 40 gallons or larger.

redfin
10-31-2006, 01:47 AM
I have a couple of green barbs that live with other tiger barbs...and they're good hardy fish, but not as aggressive as the typical tiger barbs. Living with the others they seem to be a bit bullied by the others and aren't as quick to the food.

If I had to do it over again, I'd just buy the greens and avoid the tigers as they seem to live better with the community, and they'd probably still have full and complete tail fins.

redfin
11-02-2006, 04:10 AM
I didn't realize it when I bought them, but talking to my local aquarium guy today, he explained to me that the green ones are just tiger barbs that are dyed to that color... I really don't like the idea of dyed fish, and I wouldn't have bought them if I had known. Maybe the dye is why the're slower moving, and less aggressive. dunno.

WilliamT
11-02-2006, 10:33 PM
That's interesting what that fish store told you...I hate to think they are dyed too!

According to all the information I have read though, the green tigers are a color strain, not dyed. I am going to have to do more research on this.

If anyone else knows about this, please let me know!

Coldfire
11-08-2006, 06:32 AM
Yes, check out wikipedia, it claims that they are bred that way, it is a genetic flaw? they can isolate and reproduce, similar to black colored grey squirrels

Lady Hobbs
11-08-2006, 12:30 PM
Barbs are fin nippers so you may have a problem keeping them with other species.

CJ1
11-09-2006, 12:37 AM
That's why you need a good size tank, and a large group of tiger barbs. With a large group, they spend their time fighting with each other and may, but not always, leave the other fish alone.

jaqattack02
11-15-2006, 07:32 PM
I have a couple of barbs, 2 tiger and 1 rosy (I think) and they act rather oddly sometimes. At first just one did it and had me worried, then the others started doing it too, and I think it's normal for them. Sometimes they'll seem to stop swimming and just drift a little bit, and then all of a sudden start again. The first one that did it seemed like it was dead at first, even turning upside down, although not floating to the top, then it righted itself and proceeded to swim around the tank some.

86vwgti8v
11-26-2006, 01:48 PM
I had a tank full of barbs.
I had 4 tiger
5 albino tiger
4 banana
4 rosey
6 cherry
I had to give the tigers to someone else they were mean. at one time I had them in a 55 by them selves and they fought. the albino were good fish and so were the rest. I really liked my babrs.

crackatinny
11-26-2006, 10:53 PM
I tried the school of six theory, but last night they still ate the fins right off a veiltail balloon molly I had.

This morning I moved them to the only spare tank I have, a very smal 12litre untill I decide there fate.

Nice looking fish, a real shame about there behaviour.

rosa
04-10-2007, 04:11 AM
I have a couple of barbs, 2 tiger and 1 rosy (I think) and they act rather oddly sometimes. At first just one did it and had me worried, then the others started doing it too, and I think it's normal for them. Sometimes they'll seem to stop swimming and just drift a little bit, and then all of a sudden start again. The first one that did it seemed like it was dead at first, even turning upside down, although not floating to the top, then it righted itself and proceeded to swim around the tank some.
mine did the same thing too i was worried then i thought that maybe that was one of their characteristics. Then one day it died. i decided to do some research on them and found out that they had swim bladder disease. i was in the process to try to find out something about this disease because i have since bought more tiger barbs they were all fine until today they started doing it again after month of having them. if you have found out any thing about this disease since this posting please let me know. This is my very first time ever posting a comment on the internet so i dont know if it will go through.

cocoa_pleco
04-10-2007, 04:21 AM
old thread from last november. lol

Theres little dates on top of the posts.

Sorry to burst your bubble