PDA

View Full Version : is this a first clown loach bred in captivity?

angelcakes
03-31-2008, 07:24 PM
this is a link to show that clown loaches have been bred in captivity in russia i believe this is a first,but if you read you will see a twist in the fate of these clowns breeding,tell me if you agree with the breeding or do you think this is man interfering with nature? i hope ive addressed this subject properly,

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/item.php?news=1633

goleafs
03-31-2008, 07:30 PM
I think its better than taking fish from the wild but it seems very unnatural to me.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-31-2008, 08:34 PM
It's hard to condem the practice since it is something that is being done all the time anyway. Is there really much difference between what this guy does and how they produce Flowerhorns or Blood Parrots? Not really. If it provides a viable solution to providing hobbyists with these fish without hurting wild stocks then great. However that being said, there are a lot of Clown Loaches being taken out of the wild every year and there seems to be nothing wrong with the wild stocks at all. These fish produce thousands of young in the wild with each spawn.

Lady Hobbs
03-31-2008, 09:09 PM
I don't know as I agree with this. This clown as been injected and the Flowerhorns and parrots spawn naturally with another fish.

helot13
03-31-2008, 09:16 PM
I doubt his efforts are in any way malicious. He is a scientist trying to solve a problem, and though his methods may seem cruel, the fish did survive. It may hold the key to keeping endangered species alive. The ethical question is does the fish mind, and certainly it has to be uncomfortable, but we feed fish to other fish all the time and the ethical nature of that is never put to question.

shalafi04
03-31-2008, 09:40 PM
i think this is a great thing! Sure its not "natural" but in all honesty, i have to agree, that its better than removing fish from their natural habitat for our own self indulgance.

IMO this is a huge step for aquarist and we should all be thrilled. :) yay

toddnbecka
04-01-2008, 04:51 AM
At least he's breeding one species rather than producing hybrids like the Synodontis that have been turning up. Clown loaches have been reported as spawning in aquariums on very rare occasions, but no fry have ever been produced that way.

Mvjnz
04-01-2008, 06:42 AM
I agree that it's better than catching wild fish. And it doesn't seem to be hurting the fish, the fry are fine, and the parents have produced eggs several times by the look of it.

jbeining75
04-01-2008, 11:39 AM
I'm kinda in the middle of the teeter tooter here..... not sure which side to support.... Breed fish in captivity yes...inject fish no.....hmmm... I'll have to think about this...

shalafi04
04-01-2008, 05:42 PM
I'm kinda in the middle of the teeter tooter here..... not sure which side to support.... Breed fish in captivity yes...inject fish no.....hmmm... I'll have to think about this...

Soooo.... jb..... any decision reached on your stance on the topic yet?