PDA

View Full Version : Phosphate experiments and so much confusion!

Lady Hobbs
03-31-2008, 03:59 PM
After talking to smaug and ILuvMyBarb about my phosphates and algae I decided to do some experimenting today. I am more confused than ever and will explain what I get with my tests.

I told ILMGB my tap water was 2 in phosphates right off the bat. This was incorrect. Below are my "real" tests.

1...From the tap........phosphates barely detectable!!!!!!

2...I then do another test of the tap water with a couple drops of Flourish and get phosphates of 1

3...From the tank, unplanted, large water change yesterday (sand bottom) phosphates is 2.

4...20 gallon shrimp tank......no water changes.....planted......Flourite ....phosphates 1.

5...Tank, planted, large water change yesterday....added Flourite..... phosphates 1.

Makes me think the sand in the unplanted tank has got to be raising the phosphates. What else could it be? I think I was basing the phosphates from that tank on all my tanks so excuse me for passing wrong info to you.

I didn't think sand raised the phosphate level but I have no explanation why my unplanted tank with no ferts or plants has a higher phosphate level than all my others including one other tank with just a gravel bottom.

Lady Hobbs
03-31-2008, 04:02 PM
In conclusion, my algae is NOT from higher phosphate/silicate levels after all. I am just doomed to brown algae!!!!

My new plan is: Upgrading lights and filling this tank with fast growers and CO2.

All low-light, slow-growers will go in another tank with this 130 watt.

How's that?

Lady Hobbs
03-31-2008, 11:46 PM
Am I on the ignore list?

Nautilus291
03-31-2008, 11:51 PM
I dont understand how you figured out that it wasnt from the sand?

Never mind i red it wrong. I have an brown algea problem in my 55g tank, it seems like once it gets established its really hard to get rid of. It didnt help that for a month to 6 weeks I couldnt do any large water changes.

Lady Hobbs
03-31-2008, 11:52 PM
I didn't figure out it wasn't from the sand. I think it has to be from the sand or why would it raise in that tank?

Nautilus291
04-01-2008, 12:09 AM
I noticed that once a tank gets brown algea in it its almost impossible to get rid of. I dont have very little brown algea in my 75g and 20g tanks but my 55g tank I have it all over. Maybe if I just did a large water change and cleaned everything out every day for one week it would get rid of it, but Id really have to be in the mood for that and Im ok with just cleaning stuff off every so often.

Halelorf
04-01-2008, 09:21 PM
I think silica sand can leech phosphate into water, so that could be the problem with the sand. Besides that i'm clueless to help you.

Fishalicious
04-01-2008, 09:25 PM
The phosphates are higher as there are no plants in the tank - plants use phosphates in their growth. The other tanks have plants hence lower phosphates :c3:

It is never just phosphates that can be the cause of algae - it is the ratio of NO3 and PO4 together that can cause algae.

Lady Hobbs
04-01-2008, 09:26 PM
I've also wondered about the silica and can't see it, for this very reason, to use it in a planted tank. But, my little 20 gallon planted is in great shape. My only problem is the 55 gallon so I'm sure better lighting will correct this problem. Great! Another $200!!!!!!!! LOL

Lady Hobbs
04-01-2008, 09:29 PM
The phosphates are higher as there are no plants in the tank - plants use phosphates in their growth. The other tanks have plants hence lower phosphates :c3:

It is never just phosphates that can be the cause of algae - it is the ratio of NO3 and PO4 together that can cause algae.

So hard to judge which one to increase or decrease. Do you think increasing the NO3 would help?

I keep looking at your tank for last month and it still doesn't rub off on me! I thought if I looked at it for 2 or 3 hours it would help. :c1:

Fishalicious
04-01-2008, 09:34 PM
Hahahahaha Bless ya xxx The key to sucess is not to overthink or try too hard :19:

What are your NO3 readings in the tank with algae?

Lady Hobbs
04-01-2008, 09:43 PM
How in XXXXXXXXXX would I know?

LOLOLOLOL

Don't know what they should be if I had a tester. OK...........will get the darned testers!!!!! Might as well add those to my $200 lights.

Sheesh

Fishalicious
04-01-2008, 10:11 PM
Test is a bit cheaper than a new lamp LOL

If your PO4 (phospate) is 2 then your NO3 should be between 11 & 15 to have an algae free aqua :19:

smaug
04-01-2008, 10:32 PM
Man Im dizzy reading up on all of this.I got into it late I guess.

Lady Hobbs
04-01-2008, 11:17 PM
OK girlfriend! Gotcha. Thanks

Algenco
04-01-2008, 11:24 PM
How in hell would I know?

LOLOLOLOL

Don't know what they should be if I had a tester. OK...........will get the darned testers!!!!! Might as well add those to my $200 lights.

Sheesh

What!!! Hobbs doesn't have a Master test kit ??????

Lady Hobbs
04-04-2008, 06:09 AM
She does. Just not the others to test for all the plants stuff..... the iron, the CO2, etc.