PDA

View Full Version : Lots of questions!!!

FINWHIPPED
10-29-2006, 02:20 PM
Hi, I'm new to fishkeeping and have lots of questions that needs answering. I have a small aquarium with two adult convicts who just had a lot of babies. They hatched on 23/10/06. At what age??? must I move them to another aquarium? How will waterchanges affect the babies as the tank has to be cleaned. I'm feeding them brine shrimp and finely crushed flakes, is that ok?:help:

Lady Hobbs
10-29-2006, 02:31 PM
You have posted in the photo of the month award thread. Would you mind very much moving this post to the proper thread and then we can help you there? I will delete this post once you open a new one. Thanks

FINWHIPPED
11-01-2006, 06:17 PM
My apologies, dear sir. Forgive my clumsiness!!

Lady Hobbs
11-01-2006, 10:32 PM
Didn't mean to upset you. I just wanted you to get more responses to your posts as you would do in the General forum.

Convicts are very nice fish but they do get to around 6 inches and need space.

Fishguy2727
11-02-2006, 02:59 AM
You can remove them anytime before the parents decide they shouldn't be in there, at which point they will start to kill them. They will do fine with the water changes just like the other fish, just keep an eye on them because it is easier for them to be accidentally sucked up in the tube. I would feed the parents high quality cichlid pellets and the babies Hikari Guppy Food, then TetraMin Pro Crisps (crumbled at first and then whole), then baby sized Hikari Cichlid Gold, and so on.

FINWHIPPED
11-05-2006, 03:41 PM
I think its time to move them because they are getting fewer. Maybe the parents are killing them but cant say for sure. Problem is they are not all the same size. Is differential growth rate common.
I got a albino female and a "T-Bar"?????male from a friend. Just waiting for the tank to cycle before I'll fecth them.

Fishguy2727
11-05-2006, 03:55 PM
Differential growth rates is nature's way of making sure some survive. If they were all the same and that growth rate (or some other trait) was not favored, they would all die. But if they are all different, in all likelihood no matter what nature presents, a few will survive.