PDA

View Full Version : Angel fish???

robnepper
03-30-2008, 03:48 PM
Ok, where do people talk about angel fish. This is important, people, because my wife has agreed that Angels are an acceptable fish for our house. You all need to understand that this is amazing progress. Usually, she doesn't like fish that she has not seen. EG; my cute little cories, she calls them "tank rats". And the plecco was dubbed the "worm thing". She does to get my goat more than out of any sort of fish hate though. So i need to go to where the tips and tricks are. I have exhausted the most common links on the net, now i just want to see what people in the forum are doing and saying about angels. I had no idea they were cichlids.

gm72
03-30-2008, 03:50 PM
First of all you'll need a larger tank. Secondly understand that they become increasingly aggressive as they age. Keep them in pairs. More info to follow from our other members, I'm sure.

Algenco
03-30-2008, 03:50 PM
type Angel in the search box, you'll get lots of info

robnepper
03-30-2008, 04:01 PM
First of all you'll need a larger tank. Secondly understand that they become increasingly aggressive as they age. Keep them in pairs. More info to follow from our other members, I'm sure.
See that's what i mean. Some of the info that I got said that you could keep 10 angels in a 10 gallon!. Didn't make an ounce of sense to me! I will be tank juggling and trading some fish in order to accomodate the angels. So am I only going to get a pair in my 20 high?

fins_n_fur
03-30-2008, 04:07 PM
24 inch high is preferred so their fins develop properly when they get older and larger...and I'm afraid that a twenty gallon is too small for two. A 30 would work, but not a 20. Count on about 15 gallons per angel.

robnepper
03-30-2008, 04:10 PM
15 gal per fish! So much for 1:1 hey? Rats! No angels for now, I guess. I'll have to find some other, wife friendly fishes. I was thinking about a Farlowella the other day, but she probably wouldn't even sleep in the same room! LOL

fins_n_fur
03-30-2008, 04:26 PM
Here's a thought: Why don't you take your wife to a local fish store that has a pretty large variety to see what kinds she would actually like or wouldn't mind having in the house. That'll give you better starting point and you just might get her a little bit more interested if you are asking what she thinks. There are lots of beautiful fish that aren't as big as angels and would be better suited to your tank.

robnepper
03-30-2008, 09:33 PM
Not only are you full of good info, but wisdom as well. She has had fish before though. I'm actually running some of her old equip. She just has specific tastes and I think she's all fish stored out. Thanks though. She just hates my mts.

relsoft
03-31-2008, 02:17 PM
15 gal per fish! So much for 1:1 hey? Rats! No angels for now, I guess. I'll have to find some other, wife friendly fishes. I was thinking about a Farlowella the other day, but she probably wouldn't even sleep in the same room! LOL

Try to find some other wife?! LOL j/k

Lady Hobbs
03-31-2008, 02:34 PM
You've already been given the answers needed but throwing in my 2 cents.

The idea of having this wonderful angel fish tank was also an inspiration I once had.......until I tried it. I had a 55 with 9 of them and it would have been easier to have 9 pitbulls in one dog house. Angels will only get along with another angel that they have paired with and all others will be fair game.

I knew it would require more tanks as they matured but I had not realized it would require another tank for every pair! Each angel should have at least 15-20 gallons so.....40 gallons per pair would be needed.

Not everyone is into fish which for you should be good. Since your wife doesn't like them much, that should leave you open to get what YOU like?

You already have more fish than you need in the tanks you have. Your fry should be alone in that 20 with lots of water changes, etc, for them.

Fishalicious
03-31-2008, 03:11 PM
I can only agree with Hobbs wholeheartedly - I have 4 in a 120 gallon tank and it can be like warfare in that tank sometimes when they spawn which is more often than I would like... they make the lives of the other fish miserable at those times. They are not the best fish to have as community fish unless you can find a pair that get along very well but also do not spawn often.

Tigerbarb
03-31-2008, 11:43 PM
People talk about angelfish in the sub forum titled "Angelfish", which can be found in the forum in the cichlid section, titled "South american cichlids".
And yes, angels will need a bigger tank. For a school, a tank of atleast 100 gallons should be obtained.

robnepper
03-31-2008, 11:54 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I am looking into Dave's primer on barbs right now. A long time ago, I did have some green tigers, and now, since I would like to have a school of fishes, I think they would be nice. I am also thinking Neons since you can fit a rediculous amount in a 20.

I'm not really looking to mix that tank too much. The guppies are going as soon as I can figure out what to do with them. Nobody gives credit here so I will have to try to sell them or just give them to a store.

siymdapolio
04-01-2008, 12:09 AM
Fins n fur is completely right! They get really big! I have had a baby one for only amonth and he is growing quickly! I only have a 35 gallon show tank ( 24 inches deep) good for their fins to grow and devolop. I would advice the 15 gal for each angelfish. Also I have a AQ 50 running on the aquarium and it is crystal clear and clean!

mitcore
04-02-2008, 07:02 AM
well it has been said but i also keep angels i have 2 tanks for breeding and in there are 2 breeding pairs, i have also 6 babies in on side of the 3ft divided and in the 4ft community tank i have 7 angels,
thats alot not to mention the additiction one owning them LOL
i always want more, so i figure i'll breed them i can have more LOL