PDA

View Full Version : Could I add 2 discus to.........

sailor
03-30-2008, 02:21 PM
Could I add 2 almost full grown discus to my 55 gal GBR tank.

Here is the current stocking level

6 GBR
3 honey gourami
3 laser orange cories
10 neons
3 clown loaches(going back to their bigger tank now that they have completed their snail death squad duties)

My ph in this tank is a stable 6.8
Lots of plants
2 x AC110 filtration

Thanks in advance

Algenco
03-30-2008, 02:30 PM
Should be fine, they may snack on a neon or two

jbeining75
03-30-2008, 02:30 PM
They require very soft and very acidic water to thrive. Temps for ideal discuc are around 84 degrees. Normal discus ph is around 5.5 to 6.5 so you are almost there. You could use a discus buffer in the tank and pull the water down to a slightly lower ph to keep the ph stable and a little lower. You are using a ro system so your water should already be very soft but just in case they also require a very soft water balance in addition to acidic water.

GBR's are almost ideal tank mates for discus as they require same water temp, ph range, and water softness but the discus are going to be far more suseptible to any water variations.

I'd try to drag the ph down just a little and stablize it then add the discus.... Maybe 6.3 or so not to much..... SeaChem makes a discus buffers that pulls down ph levels to around 6.0 and also softens the water extremely.

Honey gourami like a little harder water and higher ph..... 6-8. They will adapt to the 6.0 though......

Try to set your tanks to these and I think all fish would be happy
PH 6.3
gh 5
kh a high kh 5 or above to keep the tank from swinging during water changes
temperature 83 degrees

sailor
03-30-2008, 02:40 PM
These discus have been in Saskatoon water which is harder and higher in PH than the water I will be placing them in. I have heard that they will do fine in a ph of 6.8. I think they will be better off in the stable 6.8 than playing around with the buffers. I have my routine down pat now to keep the water stable and would rather not play with added chemicles or buffers and risk harming the fish with swinging changes in the ph.

jbeining75
03-30-2008, 02:44 PM
If they are stable in that water they should be fine then. The other fish will also be fine. Like Gene said the neons might get nipped but the others should be fine. Good luck with them. Take pics when you get them in and running. 8)

sailor
03-30-2008, 02:53 PM
I still have to run this by the commander and chief lol

I am going to swing by and show my girl friend them on our way to pick up the new tropheus today.

jbeining75
03-30-2008, 02:57 PM
She will love them. They are beautiful fish. She can't turn them down no way.

gem
03-30-2008, 03:00 PM
Ph being stable is more important than "bringing it down to a lower ph". 6.8 is fine for Discus. You do want to make sure to very very slowly acclimate them with drip acclimation to your tank. Another thing to consider is that Discus are very sensitve to poor water quality. More so than other fish. Alot of people that keep Discus, keep them in a bare bottom tank. It's much easier to maintain perfect water quality that way. You'll also want to step up water changes, doing them more like a couple or a few times a week.
Rams will be fine...Neons as well...though they might get eated. Gouramies...not sure but they tend to be nippy at times....I wouldn't keep them in the tank with Discus. And also as stated....a higher temp is in order for Discus. 82-83 degrees. Hope you get them and have great luck with them! :c12:

sailor
03-30-2008, 03:12 PM
I keep the temp at 82 now so I think that will be ok. The water changes I do twice a week on that tank now. I am using pool filter sand as a substrate so it is easy to keep clean and the plants are doing very well in it. The 3 honey gouramis I have seem to be very peaceful so hopefully they will behave themselves.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-30-2008, 05:02 PM
Discus would be fine in that water. There seems to be some confusion about the appropriate pH for Discus out there. If you were keeping Wild Caught Discus then getting that pH down to a low level would be essential, but not so for captive bred Discus. Now that's not to say the lower pH level will hurt captive bred, because they will still love it, but no more so than they would a pH of 6.8. The one thing you may want to watch out for is the fact that Discus do much better in groups of 4 or more. When kept in just a pair (unless they are mated) they can either become very reclusive or aggressive. Some Discus if kept in just a pair will winnow away and die, on the other hand, some will get very aggressive and have the whole tank in submission. Just something to be aware of.

Lady Hobbs
03-30-2008, 06:24 PM
Some do mix their Discus with others but with them being more sensitive to disease and needing more frequent water changes and controlled climate, I would keep Discus in a Discus tank only which is the way breeders do to keep them free of disease. The bristlenose works well with them but really, these fish are too expensive to mix them up with cheaper fish that are more replaceable.

Some mix goldfix with community fish but I'm not liking that one either. LOL