PDA

View Full Version : Cycling

gwenkat
10-27-2006, 10:41 PM
Hi all. I am FINALLY setting up my 29 gallon this week. I have new gravel that I will put in and some new plants. Since I have had so much time to plan this, I bought a couple decorations that I knew I wanted in the new tank and have had them in my current one for about a month. I thought that would help jump start my cycle. Am I right? I thought I would put in the decorations and a couple plants from my current tank. If I do, how much faster will the tank cycle? Does Biospira really work? I though about trying it too? What can I expect jump starting things like I plan?

Lady Hobbs
10-27-2006, 10:47 PM
Using your decorations from your existing tank will help some but not a lot as you haven't had them that long. You'd do better stealing the old filter media and some gravel from that tank. Bio spira is said to be wonderful but it's expensive. Stress Zyme also helps aid in adding bacteria and it's much cheaper and available at Walmart. Add only what it says to add, tho, as adding more with give an algae mess.

gwenkat
10-27-2006, 11:01 PM
How do I transfer the filter media? The new filter is bigger than the current one. Also, I am going from standard gravel to fine so I don't want to mix them. How do I get the benefit from the current gravel without leaving it in the tank?

NorthernBoy
10-28-2006, 06:47 AM
Well you could hang a bag of the bigger gravel in the new tank. That would introduce bacteria. If you use the gravel and stress zyme you should be fine. Just stock the tank slowly. I use stress zyme for every tank and for every water change. Maybe it is over kill but I will do everything I can to help my fish survive. JM2C

kimmers318
10-28-2006, 08:14 AM
If it isn't possible to transfer the filter media there are still plenty of options available to jump start a good cycle. Is there anyway you could hook up the new filter to run along side the old one in the existing tank? That is a great option....leave it run alongside the old filter in old tank and after a few days it will have a good start on bacteria. Another option is to rinse the old tank filter in the new tank water which will release some of the bacteria, or you can put the old filter media somewhere in the new filter if it will fit when it is time for media change. The decor will definitely help some, but the gravel is better. As stated...put some of the old gravel into a mesh bag to leave in the new tank until you feel all is well, or take your new gravel and let it sit in the old tank in a mesh bag for a week or so and then add it to the new tank.
Just remember....don't add any of the bacteria carrying items to the new tank until you are ready to stock with fish, it won't live long in a tank that doesn't have anything to feed it. And as always stock slowly and watch how things go before moving on. Sounds like it will be a nice tank, the size is great!

Lady Hobbs
10-28-2006, 11:42 AM
My filter media was also smaller than the tank I was cycling but I used it anyway. You can slide it in the filter alongside the one that belongs there. If not, just put it in the tank somewhere. I used panty hose for my used gravel. Just made up a bunch of bags and put them in the tank. With used media like this, you can cycle a tank pretty quickly.

I screwed up with the Stress Zyme big time but it was my own fault. It tells you to add it once a week but I had high ammonia and nitrite levels so was changing the water almost daily.........and adding more SZ each time. I ended up with algae out of this world. I just used too much of the stuff so use only as directed!

Another thing I did was after changing the water in a tank, I'd let it sit in the bucket for a bit until the nasties settled to the bottom. I'd pour this nasty stuff into my new tank now and then. I figured it contained more bacteria that just using used water.

gwenkat
10-28-2006, 01:52 PM
So if I use the filter media, the decorations and the gravel, I should also put some fish in at that time? I have some guppies that will move to the bigger tank anyway, can I put them in when I set it up with all the above items? I can absolutely use the new filter on the current tank. I will set that up now. Thanks guys. Great advice!

jeffs99dime
10-29-2006, 06:22 AM
i would wait a week atleast, before adding any fish. but, that's just me. --jeff

Lady Hobbs
10-29-2006, 01:07 PM
I added fish after 12 hours. The declorinator works instantly. Other prefer to let the tank sit and cycle for a week. It seems to not matter which way you go, it works either way. Guppies are not very hardy for cycling but you will need the fish so your bacteria doesn't die off.

Cichlid_Man
10-29-2006, 03:07 PM
So if I use the filter media, the decorations and the gravel, I should also put some fish in at that time? I have some guppies that will move to the bigger tank anyway, can I put them in when I set it up with all the above items? I can absolutely use the new filter on the current tank. I will set that up now. Thanks guys. Great advice!

Hi,
I set up my tank exactly how you are doing yours.
I used gravel, ornaments and filter media from an existing tank.
I let the tank sit for 48 hours and added cichlids.
I never got a huge ammonia spike, but my cycle seems to be stuck.
I have high nitrites and they won't quit.

So, with that said, just be careful and test your water daily.
If you see any spikes in ammonia or anything else, just do mini water changes, maybe 10% daily.

Or, if you can get your hands on a product called Bio Spira, you can add that and your tank literally cycles in a day or two.
It is expensive. About 20 dollars to do a 75 gallon tank. I was not able to find any.

Good luck...

NorthernBoy
10-29-2006, 05:19 PM
i would wait a week atleast, before adding any fish. but, that's just me. --jeff

If you wait all the bacteria will die. You need to add fish at the very beginning.

gwenkat
10-29-2006, 10:31 PM
Thanks everyone. Can I put in the guppies (I know they are not great cycling fish, but the ones that are won't be part of either tank I have) and add BioSpira tomorrow?

CJ1
10-30-2006, 12:42 AM
Here's something you can do in the future. On all my filters, I have prefilters. all this is , is a foam block on the intakes of my filters. This also helps keep the inside of the filter cleaner but also adds biological filtering. If I want to start another tank, I use a prefilter from one of the in-use filters.

gwenkat
10-30-2006, 01:04 AM
Nice tip. I will try that next time. Thanks.