PDA

View Full Version : White Spots and small black lines????

Cichlid_Man
10-27-2006, 06:39 PM
OK,
As if I am not having enough trouble cycling my tank, I think 2 fish have ICH, and some sort of black spots????
More like black lines about maybe a 16th of an inch long???
I have never seen this before.
I know what to do for ICH. Raise temp, shut lights, and add more salt, although some have told me the small amount of salt I keep with my cichlids is enough to kill off ICH???

Black lines??? Please help! Could it be some sort of worm? What form of treatment?

Thanks!

Lady Hobbs
10-27-2006, 07:20 PM
The black marks may be normal fish markings. Many cichlids have black lines. The ICK is another concern. Very common in stressed fish and they would be stressed after going thru a cycle. Are you sure it's ICK. Generally it will show up on their tail and dorsal fins as well. I sent you a message.

I believe you previously mentioned you are using 1 T per 5 gallons? That's probably as much salt as you dare to add. Did you add more salt when you did your water change?

Ick remains in the tank until after you see it leave the fish. It's said it can't be killed while on the fish but when it goes thru another process.

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/hdwspot.htm

I'd turn the heat up to 84 to put the ICK thru it's life cycle faster. Good luck

PS........Ick may also have come to you from the petstore!!!! Not uncommon at all! Don't blame yourself for this. I have only had ICK twice and both times come from new fish.

Cichlid_Man
10-27-2006, 08:23 PM
The black marks may be normal fish markings. Many cichlids have black lines. The ICK is another concern. Very common in stressed fish and they would be stressed after going thru a cycle. Are you sure it's ICK. Generally it will show up on their tail and dorsal fins as well. I sent you a message.

I believe you previously mentioned you are using 1 T per 5 gallons? That's probably as much salt as you dare to add. Did you add more salt when you did your water change?

Ick remains in the tank until after you see it leave the fish. It's said it can't be killed while on the fish but when it goes thru another process.

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/hdwspot.htm

I'd turn the heat up to 84 to put the ICK thru it's life cycle faster. Good luck

PS........Ick may also have come to you from the petstore!!!! Not uncommon at all! Don't blame yourself for this. I have only had ICK twice and both times come from new fish.

I can't understand how ICH can be present at all when I keep the tank at 81 degrees to begin with and I use salt all the time???

I think I know which fish had it.
I had one that came from the store not looking too good.
I started raising the temp a bit, little by little.

I have 1 tblspoon per 5 gallons in there but I hear people use 1 teaspoon per gallon??? I'll read the PM
Thanks

kimmers318
10-28-2006, 08:30 AM
I personally don't use salt in my tanks because when I have tried it it seems to make my fish uncomfortable....as soon as I did a water change they were fine. As for the cichlids changing colors and getting lines, that very well could be their natural coloration changes as they grow, or the stress from cycling as Hobbs mentioned. What were your water parameters when you noticed the lines? Were you getting higher readings than you had previously? I know you don't want to mess the cycle up with water changes, but if you truly have ick, or something else stress related it may be necessary. I have only ever treated ICK with heat/water changes and stresscoat. If you have some stresscoat you can try to dose the tank at the rate recommended for damaged skin and fins to see if it helps. You can also squirt it directly on any fish that may look bad. I buy it in the pump bottle because I am lazy....1 squirt per 2 gal for dechlorination....1 squirt per 1 gal if the fish need help healing or fighting disease!

Lady Hobbs
10-28-2006, 11:31 AM
I have ordered a gallon of the Stress Coat from my favorite store online. Can't find a gallon of it here in stores .........what else is new! Had a large order to put in so added that.

Seems I am always running out of declorinator so buying by the gallon is what I will do from now on.