PDA

View Full Version : Mollie Question

kufan
10-27-2006, 06:38 PM
Alright, I recently got a 3 balloon mollies from my LFS. One is a male and the other two are females. Yesterday, one of the females had babies. I was aware that she was pregnant and had purchased a breeder for this.

I guess my question is, what is the best to feed them? I have some finely crushed up fish food, but is there anything better for them.

Also how often should I feed them?

And finally, when will it be safe to put the female back in the tank with the rest of my fish. I borrowed a breeder net from a friend and currently have her in that.

Thanks,

KU

William
10-27-2006, 07:46 PM
There are better fry food such as newly hatched brine shrimps but crushed flake food is ok for mollies.

NorthernBoy
10-28-2006, 06:21 AM
You can buy brine shrimp tubes at the LFS. Check them out.

kimmers318
10-28-2006, 08:19 AM
My baby platy's do well on the baby brine shrimp for a few days and then move up to crushed flake. You can move Momma back into the tank once she is done having babies, they do not have the maternal instincts that will keep her from eating her own babies so there isn't any reason to keep her in breeder net other than to make it easy to keep babies separate. Be forewarned though....she will be pregnant again soon, if she isn't already. I believe mollies are the same as platies....livebearers can generally "hold" fertilized eggs/sperm and continue to give birth regularly for quite awhile without having contact with a male. You will soon have more babies than you know what to do with! :)