PDA

View Full Version : Are RENA's really that much more quiet?

TopperMcFly
10-27-2006, 05:52 PM
Are RENA's really that much more quiet? I hear people complain that their bio-wheels are too loud. Well my bio-wheel is dead silent compared to my generic air pump. Are the RENA pumps really almost silent or are they simply "not as load" as cheap pumps. If the difference in noise is night and day then I will spend the money and get RENAS. Thanks

Lady Hobbs
10-27-2006, 07:44 PM
I have penquin bio-wheels and they are loud. The wheels turning drive me nuts when I'm trying to cat-nap on the couch.

I really don't know the great benefit of the bio-wheel. I realize the bacteria is trapped on the bio -wheel media but once your tank is established, who cares? I also think sometimes the bio wheels contain more ordor. I mean you have that bacteria going round and round right there in the open. Now and then one of my wheels will stop, too, so I find you have to constantly check on their rotation.

I just don't know at this point. I have 3 currently but really am not doing hand springs over them.

TopperMcFly
10-27-2006, 08:33 PM
You misunderstood my post. I was simply saying that my bio-wheel was very quiet when compared to my air pump. My question was, are the rena AIR PUMPS really that quiet? Thanks

Lady Hobbs
10-27-2006, 10:55 PM
Sorry. Guess I drank too many coffee's tonight????? :) But now I will check out the Rena's filters!!

I have a Whisper air pump that tends to hummmmm. I've read if they are placed higher than the aquariums they will be quieter..like on a shelf. I opt not to and just put a towel under mine and also run it wide open. Seems to quiet down if running full power.