PDA

View Full Version : Which One?!

demosthenes
03-29-2008, 03:01 PM
i'm setting up a planted 37 gallon community tank with a bunch of small friendly fishes, and i'm wondering what type of dwarf cichlid is best suited to this environment. possible candidates that i've looked at are A. Cacatoides and A. Borellii. Their tank mates would be some combination of black neon tetras, dario dario, A. Australe killifish, otocinclus, and some celestial pearl danios/galaxy rasboras.

one thing i worry about is if the dario dario might be too cichlid-looking and end up taking abuse.

this will be my first attempt at a cichlid species so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Incredulous_Ed
03-29-2008, 10:23 PM
Sounds okay to me. I dont think the dario would get abused, but then again, these things are often unpredictable.

DCguy
04-01-2008, 09:19 PM
This sounds good to me provided that you add enough complexity to the aquascaping so that the different apistos can carve out different territories.

I don't think that agression towards the dario dario would be excessive.

DCguy

siymdapolio
04-01-2008, 09:40 PM
I think it is ok to put a dwarf cichlid in your aquarium but make sure you have tons of bottom area space. These fish are bottom dwellers and take the bottom as their territory. So if their are competition for instance a bristlenose... the cichlid are known to pluck eyes out of plecos but the dwarf cichlid sounds great for your tank make sure their are tons of hiding spaces on the bottom specially if you allready have a bottom dweller.

Hope this helps :thumb:

Fishalicious
04-01-2008, 10:16 PM
The Dario Dario are not going to survive the dwarfs.. they are on the same territory and are as territorial as Dwarfs are. They are going to get so stressed by the Dwarfs that I don't think it would work.

Dario's are very often confused as dwarfs and at one time it was even believed they were of the same family and they were named the smallest dwarf cichlids... obviously time & knowledge changed that.

Dario's would work with Rams but I wouldn't put a Cacatouides with them or Borelli.

demosthenes
04-02-2008, 12:57 AM
ok so i'll leave out the dario dario. i'm not keeping any other bottom dwellers unless you count otocinclus. I'm going with clown killis as top dwellers and black neons and CPDs for the middle with a borellii pair on the bottom. Now i just have to wait for my plants to come in the mail and everything to cycle : )

country_boy454
04-02-2008, 04:57 AM
The a. Cacatoides are an amazing looking fish. They will be my next purchase when I get the room. Have you looked into the a. gibbiceps? They max in size at about 2". I have a pair that will be here on Thursday. The tank sounds great. Post pics when you get everything set up and it filled with your livestock!

MandyL
04-02-2008, 05:10 AM
What about keyhole cichlids? Everything I read says how peaceful they are.

demosthenes
04-03-2008, 01:26 AM
gibbiceps and keyholes are great but i think i've already fallen in love with the look of a borellii, especially the opal variety with reds speckles on the face. So cute.

siymdapolio
04-03-2008, 02:01 AM
Keyholes i have heard are rather peaceful fish actually they look nice :D