PDA

View Full Version : Pics of my new GBRs

SkarloeysMom
03-29-2008, 02:22 PM
Sorry to keep all of you waiting to see the new fish. It was hard to get a good picture if them and I didn't want to freak them out more since they were probably pretty stressed yesterday.

I have one who's a poser. No problem getting a picture of him! Maybe you can see his tail is a little beat up from living in a overstocked tank at the store.
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa150/Skarloeysmom/Fish/BoldRam.jpg

And here's my shy Ram. She's(?) got a bit of tail wear too. I put some Melafix in the tank today to try and help heal it.
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa150/Skarloeysmom/Fish/shyone.jpg

I got a couple pictures of both of them. My Rasboras were trying to ham it up for the camera too.
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa150/Skarloeysmom/Fish/Rampair1.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa150/Skarloeysmom/Fish/Rampair.jpg

Can anyone tell what sex these fish are? I'm not sure the pictures are good enough to tell. What should I look for besides the rosy belly? Neither has that at this point.

~Erik3.8.07~
03-29-2008, 02:32 PM
they look great, im not 100% but i think the first pic may be a female and the second a male

Incredulous_Ed
03-29-2008, 10:21 PM
They look great! Its kind of hard to tell. Maybe a week or two and they will heal up nicely then it will be easier to see, but from a first glance, they bvoth look like males.

jbeining75
03-29-2008, 10:24 PM
Nice I love the GBR's.... Unfortunetly I can't se them sorry.... Awesome fish though...

SkarloeysMom
03-29-2008, 11:49 PM
They look great! Its kind of hard to tell. Maybe a week or two and they will heal up nicely then it will be easier to see, but from a first glance, they bvoth look like males.

Bummer, cuz that's what I'm thinking too. If it is two males will that be a problem?

~Erik3.8.07~
03-29-2008, 11:54 PM
i shouldnt be, i had 2 males when i had GBR's and all they did was lock lips twice and then lived peacefully with eachother and all the other fish

sailor
03-30-2008, 12:05 AM
Great pics thanks for sharing.
GBR's can show alot of aggresion between males but it is rare that they harm each other. It is mainly done for show.

Ellen4God
03-30-2008, 01:28 AM
Very beautiful!! I love the coloring on GBR, and they have such a cute shape too. Thanks for sharing the pictures!!!!!

country_boy454
03-30-2008, 01:47 AM
Wow nice GBR's. Great pics too! I think you have two males also.

SkarloeysMom
03-30-2008, 02:03 AM
Thanks y'all! Hopefully they really are locally bred and they last more than a month. Well at least with 2 males I won't have to worry about having fry in the tank and hopefully they'll get along.

Algenco
03-30-2008, 02:29 AM
Good looking Ram, they will be happy in that tank. The third dorsal spine is much longer on males

SkarloeysMom
03-30-2008, 03:42 AM
I just got a new 18000K bulb for my tank hood today and I made a huge difference in the picture quality I can get. I can't believe I actually shot this picture today. Of course I shot a billion others that are trash but I got one good one!! LOL! You can really see the damage on his tail in this shot and he's got the better of the two. I hope the melafix works.
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa150/Skarloeysmom/Fish/3_29Shy.jpg

Drumachine09
03-30-2008, 03:43 AM
Nice pics!

I have the same problem with albino corys. ALWAYS ruining the shot!

Fishalicious
03-30-2008, 09:38 AM
I just got a new 18000K bulb for my tank hood today and I made a huge difference in the picture quality I can get. I can't believe I actually shot this picture today. Of course I shot a billion others that are trash but I got one good one!! LOL! You can really see the damage on his tail in this shot and he's got the better of the two. I hope the melafix works.
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa150/Skarloeysmom/Fish/3_29Shy.jpg

Awwwwww I loooove Rams :1luvu: Congrats!!!! This beautiful piccie above is of a female .. the fins heal really quickly :19: If you can stay away from meds as Rams (all dwarf cichlids) don't handle them so well.

SkarloeysMom
03-30-2008, 01:33 PM
Really?!?!! I did get a female? Well that's good news. So did you see the pictures at the beginning of this thread? Is the other one a male? He's much bigger and his tail is even more tattered than the female.

I added Melafix yesterday. Will they be ok with that or should I do a water change to get it out?

I'm so excited about getting these little guys! They're so pretty and I'm not sure if its the new light or what but I really think they're colors are already coming out. I'm hooked on Cichlids!!:1luvu: :1luvu:

Ellen4God
03-30-2008, 01:45 PM
Gorgeous picture!!!! Rams are so cute!!

fins_n_fur
03-30-2008, 02:51 PM
They are beautiful! I was so tempted to get some yesterday...but I need to wait a bit.

That last picture is definitely a possible winner as POTM by the way :18:

Fishalicious
03-30-2008, 04:00 PM
I missed the first piccies <ooops> the one above is 100% female... the other one I am not totally sure.. if you could get a piccie of it now as it will have settled more and show better colors but from the looks of things you have a couple :19: :19: :19:

SkarloeysMom
03-31-2008, 04:04 AM
I finally got a good shot of the boy! His tail is a lot more chewed up than the girl's. He's coloring up really well after only 2 days.
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa150/Skarloeysmom/Fish/boldboy1.jpg

SkarloeysMom
03-31-2008, 01:38 PM
Thanks y'all for the compliments on the Ram pics! I'm happy to report this morning that they came out to eat breakfast today and are happy and active. Yesterday they did not come out to eat in the morning and I was just a little worried about it. They seem to sleep most of the day. Then they came out in the evening and played like the night before. I gave them a few brine shrimp and spiralina yesterday afternoon just so they'd know they'd made it to the promised land. Maybe that did the trick!

I can't believe how much difference these two fish have made in my tank. Everyone in the tank seems more active now. The corys are schooling together more often and the rasboras are actually venturing around the tank more. They usually just hang out in one spot all the time. The tank is now teaming with life!:19:

fins_n_fur
03-31-2008, 03:03 PM
The tank is now teaming with life!:19:

For your viewing pleasure and fun! It'sgreat having a tank full of happy, looked after fish!

Dixie
03-31-2008, 05:45 PM
Glad they're doing so well and making the tank more lively. Great looking fish. I'd like some rams eventually.

Tolley
03-31-2008, 06:11 PM
Last 2 pics amazing! Real Nice, Congrats on them! and good to hear they've settled in and are eating!

Incredulous_Ed
03-31-2008, 08:12 PM
Those new pics look really good!

dustinpedley
03-31-2008, 09:26 PM
nice looking rams

SkarloeysMom
03-31-2008, 09:56 PM
Those new pics look really good!

Hey Ed, I clicked on your link to see your fish and it took me to a YouTube video of an 80's band video?? I think you'd better check that out.

And, Thanks for the props on the pics!

Blue Ram
04-01-2008, 12:05 AM
Looking good! I'm gonna be getting 2 GBR's in a week or two.

SkarloeysMom
04-01-2008, 12:41 AM
Looking good! I'm gonna be getting 2 GBR's in a week or two.

You'll post pics when you do, right?? I probably don't even need to ask that. Like so many others around here, I just LOVE seeing pics of other people's fish!!:18:

Incredulous_Ed
04-01-2008, 12:56 AM
Hey Ed, I clicked on your link to see your fish and it took me to a YouTube video of an 80's band video?? I think you'd better check that out.

And, Thanks for the props on the pics!
You just got RickRolld!

SkarloeysMom
04-01-2008, 01:19 AM
You just got RickRolld!

HAHA! Ouch! that hurt! Funny thing is I remember that video on MTV back in the stone age. YIKES! I'm getting old.

Blue Ram
04-01-2008, 02:12 AM
You'll post pics when you do, right?? I probably don't even need to ask that. Like so many others around here, I just LOVE seeing pics of other people's fish!!:18:

I'm sure I will come up with some pics once I get my new fish. My Flavus Cichlids and Blue gourami will also have pics up at that time too!