PDA

View Full Version : Angelfish questions

Lady Hobbs
10-26-2006, 05:03 PM
I have two angelfish, Plerophyllum scalare. One has a wound on his side, almost like a split, that I have been trying to treat unsuccessfully. I've used Metafix and added salt to the tank ...no better results.

This angel acts fine and is eating and doing what it is they do with no ill effects but I'm worried about this wound. I also don't know how he got it! I had him with nothing but tetra's while I was away in FL so I know he wasn't attacked.

Pictures of this angel type. http://www.gcca.net/fom/Pterophyllum_scalare.htm

Any ideas on how he could have gotten this split or how I can treat it?

kimmers318
10-27-2006, 12:18 PM
Your poor fish could have gotten hurt in any number of ways. Since you are not seeing any improvement with the melafix, maybe try some stresscoat. You can dose it in larger doses for injured fish and even squirt it directly on the fish if you can get it to come up to you. It helps the skin heal naturally by providing a protective slime coat barrier. Completely safe and natural and I have had succes a couple of times with this treatment. If you remember some of my earlier in the year posts or did any searches on ICK, you will see that I have never treated ICK with anything other than heat, water changes and stresscoat, and so far have not seen any recurrences.
Good luck

Lady Hobbs
10-27-2006, 03:02 PM
Will do! Never thought of using it but have used the product before and like it just fine. Also have no gualms about using Stress Zyme in the cycling process.

I saw my ornery angel doing to oddest thing yesterday. He was actually swimming upside down. Infact, saw him doing this 4 times in less than an hour. He's fine, tho, and nothing is wrong with him but had never seen these manuvers before. I think he's seeing the other angelfish in the tank next to his and showing off.

86vwgti8v
11-27-2006, 02:28 AM
My large marble angel swims upside down along the back wall in the bubble stream. At first it's hard to tell he is upside down.

Lady Hobbs
11-27-2006, 03:33 AM
It is odd to see that and he hasn't done it since. Figured out he was trying to maneuver between the plants, I guess, as I moved things around some and he stopped it.

86vwgti8v
11-27-2006, 11:37 AM
I take it as he is having fun. He does it about 3 times a week, at first I was going to move stuff, but I truly think he enjoys doing it.