PDA

View Full Version : Question about Bristlenose

Mvjnz
03-29-2008, 05:51 AM
I have some algae in my tank, but it's mostly on top of the tall ornament. The top of it is about 5-10 cm below the surface. Is the BN gonna go up there and eat it, or will it just stay at the bottom?

Kind of a waste of money if it's not gonna get to where the main problem is...

Arkie
03-29-2008, 06:00 AM
my BNs roam all over the tank. id say it should but someone else can answer you better than i can :11:

doug z
03-29-2008, 06:05 AM
BN's are never a waste of money..

If there is algae, he/she will find it..

Otos also roam all over..

Question you should try and answer is why this spot is getting bad on this ornament in particular?

Is this where your feeding the fish, above?

Maybe feed them less so all the food is gone before it sinks to the bottom..

What other fish do you have in the tank?

How big is the tank?

Is it planted?

mitcore
03-29-2008, 10:14 AM
brislte noses are one of the best algae cleaners i have,
LOL the only ones, that is unless you class a siamese flying fox and algae cleaner
the bristles will go everywhere through the tank on real plants, fake plants and decoration, my bristles in the 4ft com tank live in a old suken pirate ship, it is great they live in there and clean it inside and out,
if you dont see them clean dont worry they will come out at night when the light is off, so no definately not a waste of money, give them time the will clean it

Mvjnz
03-29-2008, 11:04 AM
Kewl, thanks:)

I would assume the ornament gets algae because it's the surface closest to the light. I have several fast growing plants, and I assume that's why I have very little algae, this is the first time I've seen ANY algae in my tank.

It's 90 litres, and I have 3 swordtails, 3 mollies, 13 molly fry, 3 pakistani loaches and a red tailed black shark.

mitcore
03-29-2008, 11:07 AM
go for the bristles get a few your tank can take at least 5 or 6

doug z
03-29-2008, 05:12 PM
Just keep in mind that you will have to feed them more than algae.. :)

They love stuff like parboiled zucchini, and sinking algae wafers, like the NLS H20 wafers..

They are omnivores, so they will need some protein as well, like frozen bloodworms..

Don't give them too much protein, though..

seamajor
03-29-2008, 08:50 PM
They 'll do a great job and if you get a few before too long you may have fry as well!