PDA

View Full Version : What if I got Asian GBR's to breed?

travie
03-28-2008, 11:03 PM
What if I got Asian GBR's and managed to get them to breed(or even can they?) before they had their premature deaths, would the fry GBR's be fine and healthy? Just another thing I'm wondering about.

William
03-28-2008, 11:12 PM
Might be tired but GBR:s ?

~Erik3.8.07~
03-29-2008, 12:59 AM
german blue rams i think, i guess you mean getting hormone injected rams and breeding them before they die?, i would think they'd be healthy, what i was wondering is are those rams old enough to breed?

travie
03-29-2008, 02:07 AM
German Blue Ram, and the hormone injected ones from Asia in particular, correct. ~Erik3.8.07~, I don't know thats why I was wondering/asking. Thanks for the reply.

Incredulous_Ed
03-29-2008, 05:11 AM
Wouldnt happen. The females maybe would breed because they arent injected, but you almost never see them in dealer's tanks. And if you did get one, the male would already be too sick to even produce fertile eggs.

travie
03-29-2008, 05:14 AM
Thanks for the reply Incredulous_Ed.

William
03-29-2008, 10:18 AM
Ahaa of course. My brain shorted out tyring to find a GBR from Asia.

I have breed asias german blue rams and if they are kept by themselve they usually survive a couple of years. (atleast they have for me) However it is very important to give them a stress free environment. Stress will kill them in no time. After a few months in your tank they will become hardier but they are still best kept in a stress free environment. It is not to uncommon to get them to breed in hours after buying them. The eggs are fertile about 50% of the time. They are however terrible parents and you should rmeove the eggs and hatch them yourself. This is especially true in a case like yours wherre you believe that they die soon and won't have time to learn parenting.

My 2 c

travie
03-29-2008, 03:11 PM
Thank you both. When it finally becomes time for me to get them, I'll probably end up getting ones from Asia. Just can't afford to pay shipping from online stores.

Incredulous_Ed
03-29-2008, 10:22 PM
OKay. If you are going to keep the asian ones alive, you will need swoft water and a low pH; do you?

travie
03-30-2008, 04:22 AM
I don't have any yet, so I will be able to get prepared by time I am able to get them unless by then I completely decided it isn't worth it to try.