PDA

View Full Version : German blue ram

PUNISHER VETTE
03-28-2008, 10:13 PM
I saw these at the LFS and was wondering how good a fish they are?

Are they mean? would they eat my plants or other fish(tetras)?
What kind of water do they like?

Seems like they'd be a good fish if they worked with my tank.

ph in my tank is 7.5, kh=10, temps around 79

William
03-28-2008, 10:18 PM
They will not eat your tetras as and are very friendly compared to other cichlids. They can show some aggression. They should never be kept with aggressive fish.

They prefer soft slightly acidic water but bred fish in trade today accept harder water with higher pH. They would like survive in your tank, and might or might not breed iin your water, A lower pH would be better.

They can be somewhat sensitive.

fins_n_fur
03-28-2008, 10:19 PM
I've not seen where they are mean or nasty...usually they do well in a community tank and I don't think they'd do anything to your plants. I'm going to get a few for my S American community tank...great looking fish!

travie
03-28-2008, 10:42 PM
Try not to get any GBR's that have been bred in Asia. They typically do not last long in aquariums, because they are given something to make their color enhanced for the pet stores, which shortens their life. I know I left something out about them being bred in Asia.

fins_n_fur
03-28-2008, 10:46 PM
Travie brings up a valid point about the Asian breds--definitely stay away from them...but it shouldn't be a problem if your LFS is reputable...they tend not to sell fish that will die on you soon after purchase.

William
03-28-2008, 10:50 PM
If the only thing you can get is Asian you should keep them without any other company or other stress factors for a month or two. That way they can usally be "salvaged" but If you can find none asian rams that is much better.

Incredulous_Ed
03-29-2008, 05:12 AM
You could probably save a female ram from asia, but forget getting a male to live. You would have to get locally bred or european bred ones.