PDA

View Full Version : Which should I get

William
03-28-2008, 09:25 PM
I am planning a new tank and choosing between these two discus types. which would you choose and why. If i wasnīt afraid that they pair with the wrong color fish (it is ok to say "wrong color" about fish isn't it) and produce strange fry I would get both types.

Type 1: Super Blue Discus
http://discus.ms/images/new_discus/super_blue_diamond.jpg

Type two: Super red melon discus
http://www.rfidiscus.com/images/red_mel.jpg

Lets here your thoughts. Help me make up my mind.

Tolley
03-28-2008, 09:27 PM
Red Melon they'd look awesome against some nice green plants!

Drumachine09
03-28-2008, 09:37 PM
Hmmmmmmm, I'm digging the super blues. But they are both gorgeous fish.

Lady Hobbs
03-28-2008, 09:41 PM
I love the blues, too. It really doesn't matter if you mix the colors as long as you are not selling them as pures. You might get some very nice color combo's.

William
03-28-2008, 09:46 PM
Yes I know. I might end up with my own strain.

But it feels better to keep the strains pure

I very well might end up with 6 of each. I am suprised that those types are as cheap as they are.

Lady Hobbs
03-28-2008, 09:50 PM
You know if you get one color and like them both you'll only wish you had gotten the other as well. You can always breed a few pure and let the others mix as a cheaper Discus for resale just to see what you come out with.

fins_n_fur
03-28-2008, 09:52 PM
I'd go for the blue ones--they just look cooler...but if you like both colours, then getting some of each is a pretty good idea. Just out of curiousity, what is "cheap" for this type of fish?

William
03-28-2008, 09:54 PM
Well both these strains are available for 15$ 2 1/5 inch at my breeder so cheaper strains are maybest best used as feeders.

But hopefully I would get pure and mixed pairs if I got 6 of each.

fins_n_fur
03-28-2008, 09:56 PM
That is indeed cheap LOL I have seen them here for 25 euros plus a piece and that goes up very quickly once they are larger.

William
03-28-2008, 10:07 PM
yes. I love the prices of this breeder.
It is made even better by the fact that he always keep 10-20 different strains.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-28-2008, 10:20 PM
But it feels better to keep the strains pure

Sorry, I found that statement particularlly amusing. Considering the only pure strains of Discus are the wild caught ones and the wild ones bred in captivity with other pure strain wilds. I know what you mean though, just struck the funny bone.

I too like the Super Blues as well. For some reason the Red Melons never really interested me. It seems that one of the most popular color strains is the Pigeon Bloods but they don't interest me much either. I've also heard rumor that the Red strains can actually be somewhat more aggressive than others.

William
03-28-2008, 10:32 PM
true. But how should one otherwise phrase it?

I think I prefer the super blues as well but I´m not sure.

country_boy454
03-29-2008, 01:53 AM
I like the blues.. very beautiful coloring too.

Algenco
03-29-2008, 02:12 AM
Super bluesthumbs2: I like the solid,even, color.

Ellen4God
03-29-2008, 02:22 AM
Hmm...I think the blue one is such a gorgeous color, but agree that the red would stand out very well in plants.

Halelorf
03-29-2008, 03:04 AM
I like the blues the most but why not just get two tanks going and get both of them! :hmm3grin2orange:

~Erik3.8.07~
03-29-2008, 03:09 AM
I very well might end up with 6 of each.

If the tank is that big why not get a bunch of each and put a divider in the middle so they can only breed with the "right color" but still have both

sailor
03-29-2008, 03:12 AM
If the tank is that big why not get a bunch of each and put a divider in the middle so they can only breed with the "right color" but still have both

Agreed, good call

cocoa_pleco
03-29-2008, 05:58 AM
id say get the blues, they have "softer" coloring and look nice, the melons are too fiery and bright

William
03-29-2008, 10:13 AM
I like the blues the most but why not just get two tanks going and get both of them! :hmm3grin2orange:

That might very well be the end result. ;-)

I don'īt really like the look of a divided tank but it having a divider untill the pair might be an option and then remove it.

kitten3326
03-29-2008, 01:18 PM
I have a red melon, a wild caught brown one and I used to have a blue diamond. My favourite is the red melon, he is beautiful, he is in a tank with a black background beautiful plants and a white sand substrate, he is just a beauty and really sets off the tank. Just my thoughts, just really nice coloring.

aquarius56
03-29-2008, 02:25 PM
Oh boy...that is a tough one...lol...They are both absolutely stunning fish!! Discus are gorgeous no matter what colour they are, don't you think! Personally I'm leaning toward the blue but that divider idea was a good one, if your tank is big enough. Sorry I'm not being much help...lol...:laugh1blue: If I had to choose one, it would be the BLUE!!! :sbiggrin:

~Erik3.8.07~
03-29-2008, 02:36 PM
I don'īt really like the look of a divided tank but it having a divider untill the pair might be an option and then remove it.

that would work and maybe you can the divider that moss wall thing that Alexbet813 posted in the tank setup section, i think that it could look pretty nice with that actually