PDA

View Full Version : Java fern problems

travie
03-28-2008, 07:30 PM
I have two bunches of java fern in my 29g tank. One of the bunches is doing just fine. But the other bunch has a couple leaves turning yellow and in some spots brown. I'm wondering what the cause could be. Thanks. If pictures are needed let me know. I will take some and put them up as soon as I can if needed.

Steff
03-28-2008, 07:36 PM
Perhaps the yellow leaves grew outside the water (they can do so, but these leaves aren't abel to live underwater) and now the fern trows them away in order to make underwater leaves.
Perhaps some iron fertilizer would do a good job.

smaug
03-28-2008, 08:10 PM
java ferns are normally very hardy and difficult to hurt.What is your water temp,kh,gh,ph?Unless you have very little light I wouldnt say its a light problem.They require very little fert.How do you have them planted,are the roots uncovered as they should be?

siymdapolio
03-28-2008, 08:12 PM
Yup agreed with smaug :D
I have java fern and do not have adequote lighting and it tends to turn yellow and not super green. If the fern on single fern has begun turning black cut it off at the bottom at a 45 degree angel because the plant is trying to get rid of this fern because it is using up to much energy and not efficient enough.
I have to do this because of lighting :( i cant wait to get better light

travie
03-28-2008, 08:27 PM
Temp. = 78-80 degrees F. Not planted. I'll test for pH in a minute. I don't have tests for kh and gh. Both java ferns in the tank are growing baby ferns. Be back in 5 minutes with pH reading.

shalafi04
03-28-2008, 08:38 PM
I have spent many a years caring for air bound plants, but I have taken one thing away from my gardening experiences that tends to hold true with my aquatic plants as well.
Removing old, sick, or dying leaves helps the plant thrive. It wont be wasting nutrients trying to support something thats dying and can focus on growing big and pretty. I say get rid of what doesn't look healthy. Just snip it off, and hopefull the plant will then be able to focus on the healthy parts of itself

travie
03-28-2008, 08:48 PM
Straight out of the tank the pH looks about 7.8 . I did have the plant sitting right in front of the outflow from my AC70. I just moved it away from that. I will give it till Sunday to see if it will recoup or start to grow new baby ferns off the dying leaves if the case maybe. I'll trim Sunday if no improvements.

siymdapolio
03-28-2008, 08:50 PM
I have spent many a years caring for air bound plants, but I have taken one thing away from my gardening experiences that tends to hold true with my aquatic plants as well.
Removing old, sick, or dying leaves helps the plant thrive. It wont be wasting nutrients trying to support something thats dying and can focus on growing big and pretty. I say get rid of what doesn't look healthy. Just snip it off, and hopefull the plant will then be able to focus on the healthy parts of itself
Well said that is what i was saying too :19:

travie
03-28-2008, 10:22 PM
I will end up following both of yours advice, but I want to see if the strong outflow from my filter add an adverse effect. A little experiment if you. Thank you both. I just wanted to see if there was anything causing the problem.

smaug
03-28-2008, 11:56 PM
I will end up following both of yours advice, but I want to see if the strong outflow from my filter add an adverse effect. A little experiment if you. Thank you both. I just wanted to see if there was anything causing the problem.
your water sounds good,there is one question of mine that remains unanswered,about whether or not you have the roots in the gravel or just attached to something.Shalas advise is also very good,trimming is always good and will greatly benefit your plants.

travie
03-29-2008, 04:17 AM
Temp. = 78-80 degrees F. Not planted. I'll test for pH in a minute. I don't have tests for kh and gh. Both java ferns in the tank are growing baby ferns. Be back in 5 minutes with pH reading.

I answered your question in my first reply. You must have just read over it. The piece in question is tied to a rock.

smaug
03-29-2008, 04:19 AM
sorry,I see you said its not planted.Duh,lol.