PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting some trumpet snails

Tolley
03-28-2008, 05:30 PM
but i have a question first. Will these guys eat small fish eggs like danios and barbs?

Thanks

Steff
03-28-2008, 07:31 PM
Mine don't eat the eggs of other snails, if they are sitting on them, they seem to eat whatever is growing on them. So I believe they won't eat fish eggs as well.
But be aware, that trumpet snails don't need a second one to multiply, they simply clone themselves.

fins_n_fur
03-28-2008, 07:32 PM
I can send you all of my mystery snail for free...Interested? LOL

smaug
03-28-2008, 08:11 PM
they populate very quickly,but they do have the bonus of keeping substrate aerated.

Tolley
03-28-2008, 08:36 PM
Lol Greg..

thanks for the input put people. but does any have any experience with these eating eggs?

toddnbecka
03-29-2008, 03:38 AM
From what I've read, trumpet snails won't eat healthy eggs. They will eat fungused/infertile eggs, which is actually quite helpful. Danio and/or barb eggs are tiny, the snails would likely remove infertile eggs faster than you would even notice them.

shalafi04
03-29-2008, 04:48 AM
let me just say. I had 1... ONE... trumpet snail... two days later, I tried to find it to show my husband, and there were then... maybe 6... than roughly 20... than I got clown loaches to kill them all!!! boo to snails!

Lady Hobbs
03-29-2008, 04:56 AM
Boo to snails for me, too. If I have snails, I want those big apples snails or something cool.

Steff
03-29-2008, 08:45 AM
Trupet snails only reproduce this fast, if they have a lot of food. If you feed them carefully, they won't have so much babies.
I like to watch them, they show some funny things to me, like jumping off plants and trying to surf under the watersurface (only the babies can actually do that). They are therefore my favourites...

Tolley
03-29-2008, 12:17 PM
ok thanks everyone. I know them reproducing fast i had ramshorns once lol. I think i might get some for my coldwater tank.

Steff
03-30-2008, 07:54 AM
Just make sure that the water isn't colder than 18C. They will get sick, if the water is too cold for them.

zeon
04-09-2008, 06:31 AM
I actually ended up with one...from a plant..now i have so many they are everywhere, I have been thinking of posting an add to give them a good home. They are in my shrimp tank...Just shrimp and trumptet snails...The ones that get huge. I dont want to kill any of them...I suppose I could mail some to people if they paid for the postage. Mine eat everything that is not nailed down lol. They love java moss and driftwood They only eat the algae when there is nothing else to eat.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o287/zeondragon/Aquarium072-1.jpg