PDA

View Full Version : DIY reflector

cocoa_pleco
03-28-2008, 04:44 AM
what would be the easiest way to build a DIY reflector? i just need more light for appearance, not for plants or corals. i wouldnt mind more lighting on my 90g SA tank than the 108w T-5 currently on it. i have 4 retrofit 40w fluorescent ballasts and 4 40w bulbs im not using that would work good

siymdapolio
03-28-2008, 05:28 AM
Well cocoa I am not to sure about building one but I know just the material to use for it,
Its called mylar here is a link http://www.progressive-growth.com/proddetail.php?prod=37010 This stuff is great for lining things were light is being lost for instance in the back of the tank and hitting the wall, I would not suggest it all around the tank.

Hope this helps cocoa

Drumachine09
03-28-2008, 05:53 AM
Get 4-5" diameter Schedule 40 pvc, and cut it in half length wise, and use contact cement to apply the mylar to the inside of the piping, making sure that you don't have any wrinkles or creases. You will have to play with the positioning of the light within the reflector to get maximum efficiency, but thats not too hard.

siymdapolio
03-28-2008, 05:11 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sounds good drummachine :D

Tjones
03-28-2008, 06:26 PM
i just used card boart and cut it to curve and used spray glue to put the mylar on and it works prolly not 100% effective but it works!

Tigerbarb
03-28-2008, 10:34 PM
It would probably be cheaper to buy a reflector, but you could take apart an old reflector, see how it's made and what materials you would need, then go to radio shack (or some place like that) to pick up materials/supplies. I've heard it isn't that hard to build a light (while buying the bulb and parts, of course...) I've even build a small incandescant lamp once.