PDA

View Full Version : Playful fish..or just odd?

Whitney
10-25-2006, 02:58 AM
hi y'all,

I've been noticing some very funny behavior from my diamond tetras. My filter creates a fairly strong current, which I had aimed along the back of the tank, this way the fish were able to easily avoid the current. but there was still some flow in the tank.

a couple of days ago, one of my diamond tetras decided it was a great idea to swim into the current and let it throw him back against the side of the tank....after a little while, my harlequin rasboras started copying him and I had 8 fish pinned up against the side of the tank, trying to swim into the current far enough to get flung back again.

It looked like someone would get hurt, so I adjusted to flow to the back of the tank (that has a sort of rocky facade). The rasboras moved on, but my little diamond tetra has now taking to swimming in and out of the airstone bubbles and into the now shortened filter current against the back. He does this over and over again- sometimes from one side, then he'll go to the other and dive bomb through from that angle.

I think it's very cute..but my question is...is this normal? Should I be worried?

I also have a blue ram that likes to swim up and down against the aquarium glass, I find this troubling as well....should I, or am I just being a worrisome new fish owner and this behavior is totally normal?

Lady Hobbs
10-25-2006, 04:06 AM
Normal. A lot of fish get right into the current and let it toss them about.

Severus
10-25-2006, 04:22 AM
Definitely just having fun

kimmers318
10-25-2006, 11:42 AM
Oh yeah...normal, 2 types of fish I have had..clown loaches and dwarfpuffers, are notorious for swimming as close to the source of the current as they can and then just kinda going into this freefall thing while they let the current shoot them clear across the tank as they slowly fall to the bottom....then they get up and do it again. Enjoy your fish antics.

jeffs99dime
10-26-2006, 09:37 AM
Normal. A lot of fish get right into the current and let it toss them about.

it's a good sign!

Tails
03-22-2007, 11:48 AM
Haha this is rather funny - I can imagine myself being rather concerned if my fish started doing the same thing lol...

Actually my dad and my tetra's keep chasing each other around the tank (we have 9) and I'm a tad concerned, cos I dont know whether they're playing or fighting....??

sergo
03-22-2007, 01:08 PM
my bloodfins will take turns playing in the bubbles. it's quite funny, one will go in and start to rise then swin out and another one will come in and do the same thing. they'll do it for a while too.

cocoa_pleco
03-22-2007, 01:28 PM
hate to bust ya bubble, this thread is from october! lol

sergo
03-22-2007, 01:30 PM
this is what happens when you don't look at the date. dooh!!!!!!!