PDA

View Full Version : Farlowella Twig Catfish

dizzykylie
10-25-2006, 01:33 AM
I just got a Twig last weekend and I was wondering if anyone has any has any feedback on them. I am a newbie at this aquarium thing. I have been feeding it these sinking pellets I feed my cory and loach (but the other fish usually eat these things too), since I don't have any algae yet. The pet store said to try it on the pellets if not buy some algae wafers. It's really long and skinny and I was wondering if anyone can tell me a way to determine if he is getting enough to eat. I'd appreciate any imput. Thanks!!

Fishguy2727
10-25-2006, 02:29 AM
driftwood in the tank will help. and most likely you will need something more accessible than sinking pellets, which arent good for them anyways. try the algae wafers and try dark green lettuce or zucchini attached to driftwood or a rock. what else is in the tank? tank size?

William
10-25-2006, 07:48 AM
Also make sure to keep good water quality as they can be somewhat sensetive.

dizzykylie
10-25-2006, 08:39 AM
Thanks guys! I have a 37 gallon tall tank...and I do realize that I am way overstocked...ok not way...but I am done buying fish. (I have a total of 20 fish..mostly small fish). I have have a nice piece of drift wood with a slate bottom, but I cannot get it to stay anchored to the bottom. I figure I will just have to get some extra gravel. I will also go get some wafers today. Thanks again..this forum totally rocks.

Fishguy2727
10-25-2006, 01:16 PM
what types of fish? what filtration? what is your water change schedule? you may or may not be overstocked.

dizzykylie
10-25-2006, 06:53 PM
Trust me I have a ton of fish. I have:
2 gouramis
5 Danios (2 of them are glo-fish-I know, I'm sick)
2 small yellow fish (smaller than the danios)
2 platys
1 cory
1 Seargent major loach
the twig
2 tetras
2 mollies

I have a 50 gallon filter and I was changing water every 3 weeks (the pet store told me monthly)...It is a penguin biowheel and I change the one filter every 3 weeks and vaccum the gravel. I also have a pretty highly powered air stone and there is a lot of turbulance. now that I have been coming to this forum I have learned I need to do more H20 changes. I fill my tank with spring water b/c that's what we have through the tap at home. I put some aquarium salt in every water change. So far only 2 deaths (an African dwarf frog who I don't think was right to begin with...he lived in a jar at the lfs for who knows how long) and one of my yellow fish got eaten by my other 2 yellow fish. I am going to go this weekend and try to find a really good water test kit.
I think here soon I am going to buy a 10 gallon tank and put my betta in it and some of the danios in it. My small fish hang out at the top terrorizing each other and they sort of get lost in my tall tank.

Fishguy2727
10-25-2006, 09:50 PM
thats not really overstocked. and dont add the salt, it will cause more problems that it 'helps'. i would upgrade the filtration and do a 50-75%water change weekly.

dizzykylie
10-25-2006, 11:33 PM
Thanks reptileguy and everyone else. I will definitely pick up on the water changes. So far the twig seems to be doing alright. Sometimes when he's on the bottom eating food my other fish will push him aside and eat it. They aren't being mean, I just don't think that they understand that he's a fish and not a decoration! LOL.

lizzie
02-12-2011, 03:22 PM
Hi,
i would suggest feeding him algae wafers and having long stem plants with leaves.