PDA

View Full Version : Turtle

Patrik
10-25-2005, 08:12 PM
I just saw some baby turles in a petstore.

They are soooooo cute!

Can I keep a baby turtle in my aquarium?
Do I need to give them a place to rest above the surface?

William
10-27-2005, 02:59 AM
I wouldn't recommend keeing turtles and fish in the same aquarium. It seldom works.

Turtles put a large strain on the water and often eat the fish. Even a baby turtle will soon be large enough to eat larger fish.

If you despite this would get a turtle it would need an area above the water surface where it can climb up.

aquafreak
10-27-2005, 03:06 AM
I keept turtles in my aquarium once but the water started to stink unless I changed it every other day so i gave up the turtle idea.

Patrik
10-27-2005, 03:12 AM
:evil:

Ok. so I shouldn't keep turtles with my fish. How large aquarium would I need to keep just the turtles?

aquafreak
10-28-2005, 03:11 AM
Which species are you planing to keep?

rebelagent
10-30-2005, 04:11 AM
I suggest a red snapper which is the most common. They're easily maintained but do NOT keep them with other fish I gauruntee it will eat all other fish. They're easy to keep.

I fed my normal turtle food and shells of eggs which helped give him protein. I even fed him lettuce.

They need a sunning rock though because they hibernate from november to january.

DannyBoy
10-30-2005, 05:01 AM
Yes. The red snapper turtle or the Red eared slider turtle which is a more common name is one of the most suitable species for beginners.

You should however as said in this thread not put them in your regular aquarium. I did this mistake once and lost half my fish.

killaklown
10-30-2005, 09:08 PM
I have always wanted a turtle, but I really dont think they would get along with my other fish, most of them are big but there are a few small ones and I dont want to get them killed.

DannyBoy
10-31-2005, 04:59 AM
And they most liekly would be since most turtles eat fish.

rebelagent
11-02-2005, 09:20 PM
by the way the other great thing about turtles is that you want to keep them in generall the same sized take through out their life. They grow to their enviroment so big tank means big turtle tiny means tiny turtle.

As is with most other fish.

soul
11-02-2005, 10:36 PM
wow thats pretty cool... lol just though, get them in a big tank, and when there big put them in a small tank... although that would be pretty cruel... i wouldnt do it.

lpstong
12-09-2005, 05:04 AM
How long can these red snapping turltles live? I hear some say 10 years and other say 60 years. I guess it depends on the type of turtle and care. And don't red snapping turtles eat goldfsih?

rebelagent
12-12-2005, 06:13 PM
wow thats pretty cool... lol just though, get them in a big tank, and when there big put them in a small tank... although that would be pretty cruel... i wouldnt do it.
Ok Ok I see what you mean lol. No my point was if you want to keep them a certain size dont upgrade you tank to a bigger size. The turtles adapt to their surroundings. And no if you put a big turtle in a small tank it wont make it small lol. It's generally just controlling the size of your turtles growth thats all. Your funny thanks for pointing my mistake out though.

rebelagent
12-12-2005, 06:18 PM
I have always wanted a turtle, but I really dont think they would get along with my other fish, most of them are big but there are a few small ones and I dont want to get them killed.

I know some fish stores have a separate tank for the red snapper turtles. Although on ocassion you will see that the stores will put goldfish in the tank. Some will say that the golds are feeder fish for the turtles. The first turtle that I had ate the golds once in a blue moon. They did more damage to the other golds because of the claws. So if you were to put any fish in the tank with the red snapper I would suggest one to two golds and no more.

rebelagent
12-12-2005, 06:25 PM
How long can these red snapping turltles live? I hear some say 10 years and other say 60 years. I guess it depends on the type of turtle and care. And don't red snapping turtles eat goldfsih?

I have heard people say that the red snapper turtle can live past 50 years.
I have a friend with two red snappers and has had them both for 12 years. They will also live long lifes depending on the care they recieve. People have a tendancy to take them out of their tanks to roam around for a few hours. Than they forgot about them and they died. They need water and can't live without it. So take great care of them and they will live a long life.

Full3R
01-08-2006, 01:21 PM
man thats messed up about the turtles growing to there enviroment i have 6 turtles and i knew they wouldnt grow, but its weird.