PDA

View Full Version : Problems with a Jaguar

Juannie
10-24-2006, 05:43 AM
Hi there,
I have a Jaguar, Oscar & Large Pleco in a 4foot tank. In the last month or so my Jag has been a little territorial with the oscar. Over the past few days it is attacking the Oscar (whom is bigger) quite aggresively. I've not broken the tank up so that this isn't happening because the oscar then attacks my pleco after being bullied. Does anyone know why the Jaguar would be doing this? I'm not sure but I think it could be a female. I do have hiding places for it so it can't be that. I'm also wondering whether it would be worth putting any other large species in there to break up the two as I did have a sypmsilum in the tank until she injured her eye, she is now blind in one eye and when I tried to put her back they had a go at her.

Thanks!

Fishguy2727
10-25-2006, 02:26 AM
no more fish, they will be more than enough as is. jags are extremely aggressive and oscars arent. males are more aggressive so a pic would help determine sex. what size exactly is everyone? most likeyl the jag is getting close to sexual maturity and in a jags world a 4ft tank is his territory, no room for anyone but a mate. lose the pleco and if necessary they need to be separated. do you feed live food at all?

Juannie
10-25-2006, 11:46 PM
Here is a pic of my jag from my phone, I hope you can see them. It's very odd because it's never been overly aggressive with my oscar before until this week. It's never bothered my pleco - he's massive so he pushes them out of the way anyway. I've had to separate them in the tank with the jag by itself and it's not very happy - almost like it's lonely because it's gone into hiding.

Juannie
10-25-2006, 11:51 PM
here is another pic of my jaguar - i hope it can be seen clearly. I feed them a mix of frozen beef, blood worm, flake, pellets, shrimp pellets. I have a Jebao 815 filter (approx 1500l/h) 3 in one multifuction internal powerfilter.
#runs Max. 2400L/H, 28w, 1.6m water head
#Air venturi for extra water areation & circulation
#includes 2 canisters with bio-foam and bio-balls.

- but i don't think even that is enough because they produce a mass amount of waste. Do you have any recommendations for filtration on big fish like this? I really appreciate your help and advice. THANKS