PDA

View Full Version : hi from Ohio!!

dizzykylie
10-24-2006, 12:30 AM
Hi everyone! I am from Ohio and I am a complete aquarium newb. Like most newbs I started out big! I bought a one gallon betta tank with one betta and just had to have more fish. So I bought a 37 gallon tank. I have like a ton of fish, which I know is not good. I think I have maxed out. Fortunately in the 2 months I have had my aquarium I have only had 2 casulaties...one was a tiny fish that was eaten by the other 2 like him and my little dwarf frog which had a hard time swimming in my tall tank. Here in a few months after I find out where I am moving to, I would like to start a salt water tank...so that's why I am joining these forums so I can be smarter about fish.

I look forward to talking to and learning from you all.

gwenkat
10-24-2006, 01:07 AM
Welcome to the forum. You will certainly learn a lot here. I know I did.

Severus
10-24-2006, 01:57 AM
Welcome to AC. Read all you can about SW before you try a tank, itll be worth it.

kimmers318
10-24-2006, 07:39 AM
Welcome to AC...can't give any tips on saltwater since I haven't gotten that brave yet, but I am sure there is plenty to be learned!
Whereabouts in Ohio are you...if you can/want to be more specific that is. I am just outside of Streetsboro....nice to see a fellow Ohioan here.

Lady Hobbs
10-24-2006, 10:19 AM
Welcome, welcome. I thought back in April it would be "cute" to have a little 10 gallon tank. It was cute alright. So cute that within two weeks I had added a 20 gallon, then 30 gallon all within 2 months. I don't think one had cycled before I was getting another. So little time.........so many fish to pick from!

Two weeks ago I got a 55 gallon and now have moved the 30 gallon to make more room from yet another tank! sheeesh I can see now why people tell you to just go big and get it over with. I have room now and could actually have a 75 or a 100 but getting it here is my problem. I can get one of those aquarium kits from Walmart (55 gallon) and it will just fit in my car so I will probably go with another 55. Then sit and cry because it isn't larger!

Talking your ear off here so will close with a big welcome aboard.

kimmers318
10-25-2006, 12:02 PM
You need a minivan Hobbs! We brought home our 94 and 64 in ours...just had to bump one of the kids to my girlfriends car for the ride home! :) With all back seats stowed in the floor I can put 4X8 sheets of plywood in it to bring home....almost as good as having a pickup truck! And the added advantage is everything stays dry!

Lady Hobbs
10-25-2006, 01:03 PM
I know, I know. My ex lives not far and has a mini van but between us two cripples, couldn't unload it if we wanted. I will think of something! "Rent A Man" is not available in this area. Can I borrow yours?

dizzykylie
10-25-2006, 06:57 PM
Welcome to AC...can't give any tips on saltwater since I haven't gotten that brave yet, but I am sure there is plenty to be learned!
Whereabouts in Ohio are you...if you can/want to be more specific that is. I am just outside of Streetsboro....nice to see a fellow Ohioan here.

I live in Licking County. Just near Columbus.

Some of you were talking about how you got your tanks home and I have one for ya. So I had been mulling over getting a tank for months and one day I woke up and just had to have one. So I drove my 2 door chevy cavalier down to the lfs and bought my 37 gallon tall aquarium. I have to hand it to those guys they fit my tank and stand...which together are just under 5 feet tall into my car. The tank was strapped in the passenger seat and the stand crammed in the back. I got it home and my friend (keep in mind both of us are really petite) lugged the sucker in and hauled it upstairs to my room. I had to fill it with buckets and it took me about 100 trips down to the washroom.

Lady Hobbs
10-25-2006, 11:02 PM
LOL Looks like you will be doing lots more trips on each water change. I think I'd have to get a hose! :)

dizzykylie
10-25-2006, 11:29 PM
Yeah...but it's good exercise. I need that! I didn't realize how good of shape I was in until I lugged almost 40 gallons of water up stairs! Of course my window is adjacent to my tank so I could throw the water out there.

betta mom
10-26-2006, 04:38 AM
welcome to the forum . :19: . you guys are a hoot . thumbs2:

kimmers318
10-27-2006, 12:25 PM
Hobbs....you can have my man for FREE for as long as you need him...with him out of work right now he is a royal pain in the a**! The longer he is off work the worse he gets. Hopefully the water leak we found in our kitchen wall yesterday will keep him busy for awhile redoing my kitchen!! LOL :)