PDA

View Full Version : Can i paint PVC with something that isn't bad for the fish?

PUNISHER VETTE
03-25-2008, 03:58 AM
I'm planning on my DIY weekend project to get rid of the tubing supplying my CO2 water to the tank.

Planning on doing a PVC system that will take right angles from the top to the bottom then down the back a little with holes in it where the water will come out. Only problem is i don't want white PVC in my tank as it would look worse then the tubing.

Can i buy a spray paint that doesn't hurt the fish? Or does regular spray paint not hurt the tank already? I used some plastic ready paint for the DIY reactor and it looked great...but that not in the water so....

cocoa_pleco
03-25-2008, 04:11 AM
i believe epoxy paint is safe for fish

Dsoto87
03-25-2008, 04:42 AM
Ive said it a million times but ill say it again. You can use Krylon Fusion. i just recently painted some pvc tubes black for my fish to use as caves. Its inert so it wont leach anything. It dries extremely quick too

spudbuds
03-25-2008, 06:02 AM
Yep Krylon Fusion will work. Just make sure you clean the PVC very well prior to painting. If it's not perfectly clean, it will flake off in the tank.

Lady Hobbs
03-25-2008, 06:24 AM
That's a spray, right? My fish don't like their pvc pipe caves much either. They want dark.

AquaBANG
03-25-2008, 06:30 AM
how about applying silicone all over the pvc surface and coat with substrate? (gravel/sand), so that the cave will match the texture of the tank?

Lady Hobbs
03-25-2008, 06:48 AM
I've already done that but the inside is white and they like it dark in their caves.

jbeining75
03-25-2008, 12:31 PM
If you are scared the paint is going to leech you can always use clear coat epoxy resin to cover the pipe and make the paint water tight.

hpt84
03-25-2008, 12:33 PM
i believe epoxy paint is safe for fish
You should get epoxy paint that is potable. Basically, chemical from the paint wont leak into the water.

sailor
03-25-2008, 01:39 PM
Krylon fusion is the way to go and is available in many colours.
They also make a low oder which is safe to use indoors. I used it when I painted my 125 gal because it was too damn cold to paint outside and it didn't stink at all.

PUNISHER VETTE
03-25-2008, 02:37 PM
I'll go with the fusion then. Thats exactly what i used for my DIY reactor and it came out great looking. Doesn't even look like it was spray painted as it bonds so well.

PUNISHER VETTE
03-25-2008, 04:29 PM
Okay i got the paint and PVC now i just need to know if i should build the reactor down the entire back side of the tank with holes along the whole way or should i just run it down the side for a foot or so?