PDA

View Full Version : Baby brine shrimp

KazAngel
03-25-2008, 12:59 AM
My angels have been spawning for some time now and I have only managed to raise 1.

The tank is clean, the water parameters are all good, so the next thing I have been looking at is the food.
I tried finely crushed angel flakes but that didn't work, then I got some liquid fry food, that kept them alive a lot longer but they still slowly died off. So now I would like to try baby brine shrimp.
Some people swear it is the best and others say its not very good, the man at the lfs said my angel fry will be too small to eat it for a few weeks, but other places say to feed bbs for the first few weeks, so I'm just going to have to try it and find out for myself.

The issue is I don't know how to hatch it and the lfs man said I would need a bbs net and they are all out. Is there an alternative I could use like sterilised nylon stockings the thick ones? and what exactly is the process?

xoolooxunny
03-25-2008, 01:24 AM
do you seperate the fry? maybe start off with liquid food then move to bbs. I've never hatched bbs but i know its not complicated, you need a sponge filter, brackish/salt water, air pump, and a hatchery. you should be able to google the process, if not, search it on this forum, i know its been around before . . .

the nylon stocking might work, and if you want to get even more fancy, use a metal coat hanger to fashion a net handle for it!

Algenco
03-25-2008, 01:24 AM
you can use coffee filters, get San Fransisco bay eggs, the napuli are smaller and the fry can handle them as soon as they become free swimming. I feed SFB baby brine and microworms.
After they are 2-3 weeks old you can switch to Great salt lake eggs, larger and cheaper

KazAngel
03-25-2008, 02:29 AM
The bbs I got is sfb its the only type the lfs has and its one hell of a long drive to get to any other fish stores. I think I will hatch some and see what works best for me the stocking and coat hanger (good idea xoolooxunny) or the coffee filters. I'm going to go googling now (don't know why I didn't think of that:11: ). Thanks for your help.:19:

Algenco
03-25-2008, 02:36 AM
www.brineshrimpdirect.com

KazAngel
03-25-2008, 10:53 PM
Thanks algenco. I have found lots of info (some contradictory) so I'm going to try out a few different ways today after work see how it goes.