PDA

View Full Version : Salt to Fresh

C-Dub
03-25-2008, 12:46 AM
Hey everyone, i'm new here and had a few questions;

I have a rounded in the front square in the back 45-50gal tank. Can't remember what size it is. Anyway I bought it from a guy at work and it was a salt water reef tank... I now want it to be a freshwater angelfish tank. What do i do?

PS-it's pretty covered in algae...I heard cleaning it with vinegar is helpful and also safer to clean with then bleach? Does that "hold water" so to speak?

Sorry, also i may be moving soon so should i just wait till im sure i will have a stable living situation. Or is there any tricks to moving a tank(possibly with angelfish in it) and not having to repeat cycling?

OscarFan
03-25-2008, 01:19 AM
You can clean it using bleach just rinse it out before you use it. How far are you moving and how long until you do.

cocoa_pleco
03-25-2008, 02:19 AM
its the other way around, vinegar is safer than bleach. just give it a good scrub with vinegar and rinse it out after

C-Dub
03-26-2008, 01:06 AM
Oscarfan, I don't believe the move would be any further than a 10-15 minute drive from where I am now. And I'm not being kicked out or anything I'm actually just moving up in the ladder at work and can afford something nicer. :)

Cocoa, I may have been misunderstood. I did actually mean that I heard vinegar was safer than bleach, and if i did use bleach to let the tank sit in the sun for a day or so afterwards...

thanks, chris

cocoa_pleco
03-26-2008, 01:17 AM
if the tanks acrylic dont let it sit in the sun, it might warp

just do a quick vinegar scrub and wash it out. if its just salty crust you can also only use warm water

cocoa_pleco
03-26-2008, 01:17 AM
double post

Collin1104
03-26-2008, 03:26 AM
yea just use vinegar.. its a lot safer.. besides it would take more time making sure you completely cleaned out the bleach, even then there still might be some...

Tigerbarb
03-26-2008, 04:53 AM
Since the tank was used for SW, you will have to scrub it with a brand-new sponge pretty well. There are probably some salt deposits in the tank, so scrubbing off algae won't be good enough.
Like what Oscar, Cocoa and Collin said, clean the glass with vinegar or bleach.
Also, welcome to AC!

C-Dub
03-27-2008, 12:21 AM
Sweet, you guys are the best! I will have updates on the tank soon, it's supposed to be really nice this weekend so I plan on cleaning it...