PDA

View Full Version : BlueGill food?

Adrian
03-24-2008, 09:59 PM
I just went down to the pond at the end of our street. It is a small little thing, but brought a fishing pole along anyway. Didn't really expect to catch anything, but OMG, I caught a 5-6 inch blue gill!!!

I immediately thru it into a bucket of its natural habitat water, and brought it home. It is now sitting in a tank waiting to go into my pond.

What do I feed bluegill? Obviously, I can't feed it what I used to catch it, but I know some pellets could be intoduced.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

smaug
03-24-2008, 10:06 PM
Feed it large cichlid food,with treats consisting of worms and bugs once in a while.Rosy feeders would be good as well.Keep your tank clean,these guys are messy.

Adrian
03-24-2008, 10:22 PM
Thanks Smaug! OMG! I feel like a little kid in a candy store. Now my daughter is all excited too. She wants to go fishing with me the next time I go out...LOL She is a stout vegatarian. Though horrified at the thought of a hook going in the mouth of a fish, she was fascinated that I brought it home.

Go figure. I probably will go out again tomorrow after I see what this guy does. I caught some other fish to...with a fine mesh net, some of which I have never seen before. I think one is a large mouth fry, and another one that looks like a dalmation molly, but this is no molly. I have no idea on what it is. A few "pin-heads" too, and a "grass shrimp" native to the area. I feel like a marine biologist going out for the very first time.

sailor
03-24-2008, 10:25 PM
You should check into your states rules and regs on transporting live fish from their habitat to home pond etc, I bet it's a no no.

smaug
03-24-2008, 10:36 PM
You should check into your states rules and regs on transporting live fish from their habitat to home pond etc, I bet it's a no no.
If a fish is a species that is alowed to be caught and kept,you can transport them any way you please alive or not.

OscarFan
03-24-2008, 10:38 PM
here in montana it is is illegal to keep any live fish. Ecspecialy non native.

I would feed him like an Oscar. They eat mainly insects and shrimp from the water with an occasional fish.

Adrian
03-24-2008, 10:53 PM
If a fish is a species that is alowed to be caught and kept,you can transport them any way you please alive or not.

I can't find anything on rules or regs concerning the keeping of native fish in a water garden.

I wrote Florida Wildlife Commision to see if they can answer my question. I know up in Wisconsin, I could keep game fish, as long as I had a license to do so.

I am unsure of Florida. Hopefully I will hear back from them soon.

I noticed that one of the eyes on this fish is cloudy....:( I will probably have to treat with broadspectrum antibiotic. Well, at least I saved the fish from its demise, if I can sucessfully treat it.

I could understand if I was taking this fish to another county, state, or otherwise, but it is literally just 300 yards from my home.

goleafs
03-24-2008, 11:43 PM
Nice catch! I've got a pumpkinseed sunfish in one of my tanks, he's too small for pellets but I'm sure if he was 5-6" he'd go crazy for them.

In Ontario I think that its all good if you caught the fish hook and line if it's different where you are you could always be sneaky and say you bought it, I've seen them for sale online.

Adrian
03-24-2008, 11:50 PM
Nice catch! I've got a pumpkinseed sunfish in one of my tanks, he's too small for pellets but I'm sure if he was 5-6" he'd go crazy for them.

In Ontario I think that its all good if you caught the fish hook and line if it's different where you are you could always be sneaky and say you bought it, I've seen them for sale online.

Well, tomorrow I will go back and see if I can catch another one. I love pumpkinseeds. Their colors are fantastic! This fish I caught on hook and line. Startled me, as I was not expecting to catch anything.

Incredulous_Ed
03-25-2008, 06:02 AM
Feed it a quality pellet food, like NLS, if it will take it. At that size I dont imagine that it would take anything other than live anfd frozen foods. You may have to wean it onto ddry foods.

Lady Hobbs
03-25-2008, 07:35 AM
Never seen anyone so excited to have a fish with leeches and cloudy eyes. LOL

Man, you must really get excited when you get one with worms!!!!! LOL

Adrian
03-25-2008, 09:28 AM
Never seen anyone so excited to have a fish with leeches and cloudy eyes. LOL

Man, you must really get excited when you get one with worms!!!!! LOL

ROFL!!! Silly Hobbs. I get excited cause I got to do something that I haven't done in forever. Go fishing.

Red
03-25-2008, 04:00 PM
like really like worms and pretty much anything
lol
or u could just eat it
jk

country_boy454
03-25-2008, 04:39 PM
Post some photos of it! Nice catch by the way.