PDA

View Full Version : Cockatoo dward cichlid

Ghostknife
03-24-2008, 10:18 AM
Hello all,

Some of you may think this is a ridiculous question, however, I think I should ask this anyway.

I have a Betta (siamese) fish, in a roughly 66 gallon tank (its 250ltrs), with a Bristlenose, & two YoYo Loaches. All is going well I must say. Everyone looks happy.

I was wondering would it be a good idea to get a couple of Cockatoo dwarf Cichlids in there with them. I see, in general, the Cichlids are aggressive, but I understand that this one is tame enough. There is no info on how this might react with a Betta fish, called Paddy.

Hope you lads can help out with this problemo. I would get 1 male, & 2 female ones, if this is okay.

Are there any other types of Cichlids that may work, as there is not alot of colour going on in there. I fancied the electric yellow lad, but he is an angry bugger apparently. Shame!!!

Cheers lads :4:

William
03-24-2008, 10:31 AM
How is your water?

Soft/hard? pH?

Ghostknife
03-24-2008, 10:44 AM
The water is moderately soft, & I have no idea about the PH, it is just town water, & we have not tested it yet. All I know is the fish are doing well at the mo!

Apart from buying water purifier, specific to the city, we do nothing else to the water.

William
03-24-2008, 10:46 AM
I woudl check pH before deciding anything.

The fish you have tolerate a lot higher pH than cockatoo cichlids do. They are actually quit sensitive. not impossible in any way but considerably more sensitive than they fish you have now.

Ghostknife
03-24-2008, 10:49 AM
Will check that so!!

Would you have any disagreements to a Siamese fish in the same tank as one?? Also, do you know the best PH for the Cichlid??

William
03-24-2008, 10:58 AM
I would suggest pH 6.0-6.5 for cockatoos. Although they will tolerate a bit higher as well as a bit lower pH.

If you by Siamese fish mean another betta (there are lot of fish species called Siamese fish) I would say that a female or better 2-3 females shouldn't be a problem. As for another male. The general rule is to only keep one in the same tank but if your aquarium is well planted it is likely large enough to support two territories. You will have some fighting but it will likely not be too bad. However there is a chance that it will end in disaster and I am sure that at least a few members will strongly disagree with what i have written above.

I have had two bettas in 250 L tanks several times and never lost a betta to fighting. Got some totally trashed before the territories had been established though, they have always recovered and after a month or so the fighting all but seized. It should be said that all those tanks have been very well planted.

The safe bet is however regardless of my experiences not to try it.

Ghostknife
03-24-2008, 11:03 AM
No, I mean, 1 male Siamese fighter (Betta), just living with a harem of Cichlid. Would the Cichlid, & the Siamese fight?

Thanks for the help, I am just a little confused with the last response. :4:

Incredulous_Ed
03-24-2008, 06:47 PM
The cockatoos will tolerate and breed in pH up to around 7.2. I think it might work out, seeing as the bettas sicks near the top and tehe cichlids would stick near the bottom. Im not sure though.

William
03-24-2008, 06:59 PM
Ignore might last response. I read it like you wanted to get a second betta.

cockatoos and a siemese together shouldn't be a problem as they use different water levels in your aquarium.

Ghostknife
03-25-2008, 10:49 AM
Okey Doke!!! Thanks lads! I will look into the Ph, & depending on, will make my decision on.

Cheers lads, & lasses