PDA

View Full Version : My Angelfish Wont Lay Her Eggs!!!!

Lolacola1984
03-24-2008, 05:54 AM
i AM NOT SURE IF ITS THE TEMP... ITS DEFINETLY NOT THE PH AND NITRATES AND AMMONIA AND ALL THAT STUFF. I DO NOT HAVE A SLATE IN THE TANK AND THIS FEMALE ANGELFISH WILL NOT LAY HER EGGS... THE MALE IS JUST HANGING WITH HER BUT NOT HELPING TO SPAWN I GUESS YOU COULD SAY. I WANT TO KNOW IF SHE WILL EVER SPAWN OR IF THE EGGS INSIDE HER HAVE ALREADY DIED OFF SINCE THEY HAVE BEEN THERE FOR QUITE SOME TIME ( LIKE TWO PLUS WEEKS)... COULDNT SHE SOMEHOW DISCARD THEM IF SHE IS MUCH OVER DUE TO LAY THEM? I AM STUMPED!! PLEASE HELP! I MAY BE JUST DENSE HERE BUT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT I CAN DO... EVERYTIME I COME NEAR THE TANK THEY BOTH SWIM FAST TO THE FRONT OF THE TANK AND IT LOOKS LIKE THEY JUST WANT FOOD. IM AFRAID THAT IF I FEED THEM ANYMORE ( WELL JUST THE FEMALE IM WORRIED ABOUT) SHE WILL EXPLODE! ....HER BELLY IS FOUR TO SIX TIMES THE SIZE OF THE MALES! HELP HELP HELP

:18:

cocoa_pleco
03-24-2008, 06:05 AM
i havent bred angels in quite a while but the members fishalicious and ladyhobbs will know

Arkie
03-24-2008, 07:00 AM
i only have just recently bred my angels (with no fry though they eat them) but they are probably going up to the side of the tank to protect their territory, and as to when she will lay im not sure but im thinking she will lay when she is ready. but as previously stated other members will be more of a help than i can be. good luck though

Lady Hobbs
03-24-2008, 08:24 AM
If she is that fat, she might have worms. If her poo is white and stringy you know that's a problem.

She will lay her eggs when she's ready and will use a plant, the side of the tank, a pvc pipe or the filter tube. I have heard of fish getting eggs bound but never an angelfish. When they get ready to spawn, they will start cleaning an area like crazy and sometimes for days.

angelcakes
03-24-2008, 09:17 AM
mine used to do hers up the filter conceler,took me by suprise at first because she was origanaly fat and large and used to defend her eggs like hell even though at the time there was no other angelfish to fertalise the eggs with......sadly she passed away early last year through old age, and i now have two more and the fun begins again...........:19:

Fishalicious
03-24-2008, 09:44 AM
As Lady Hobbs has said - Angelfish don't get egg bound so her 'hugeness' is due to another factor. Some Angelfish go through life never ever laying a single egg... are you sure the two you have are male and female? Without having spawned it is difficult to tell...

If she is ready to lay eggs and has partnered up with a male she will chose a place in the tank , clean it like mad and chase any other fish that comes close. You should also see her breeding tube protuding underneath.

Lolacola1984
03-30-2008, 05:52 PM
Ok So Thank You So Much For All That Has Responded With Answers That Have Been Helpful.

My Angelfish ARE So Complicated...so She Has Laid Her Eggs Three Previous Times With So Many Fish In The Tank With Her And Her Mate. The Mate Has Fertilized Them All Three Times And The Eggs Would Turn White If Not Fertilized And Some Would Become Babies...
I Wasnt Knowledged About The Whole Process And Took The Female And Male Away From The Babies...about Four Days Into It, I Put Them Back With The Babies And They Ate Them... Ever Since Her And Her Mate Have Not Spawned. So This Is Where My Questions Come Into Play..

I Have Noticed She Is Huge In Her Belly.... And Her Stools Are Dark So I Know She Doesnt Have Worms... Two Nights Ago She Was Sucking Off Different Portions Of The Tank. So I Was So Excited And Thought She Would Lay The Eggs Within The Next Couple Of Days....she Didnt And She Not So Big But Can Tell She Still Has Eggs Inside Her.

Now There Are Only Two Black Skirt Tetras In The Tank With The Two Angelfish As Well As A Algae Eater... Thats It! Now There Hasnt Been Much Rummage Around The Tank And The Temp Is Between 80-81 F.
I Dont Know If Im Not Feeding Them Enough, I Dont Know If They Are Not Finding A Good Place To Lay, ( I Even Got A Rock Looking Slate For Them.... They Dont Go Near It) Sighing.... Not So Sure What To Do... They Are A Little Over Two Years Old...i Bought Them When They Were The Size Of A Dime. Not Sure If Angels Just Getto Old To Spawn? Should I Use My Separator To Block The Picosamus And The Two Other Fish From Them?
Just Cleaned This Tank Last Weekend And Everything Is Crystal Clear! Please Help!!!!

Allison.:14:

Lady Hobbs
03-30-2008, 06:12 PM
Very unusal problem you have and I have no sound answer, either. I think I would give her a parasite food and see if she can pass it. She could have worms, I guess, altho white is what I've heard the color should be. Has she been given too much meat products, like blood worms? Too much meat in cichlids can also cause binding and should be given only a couple times a week after their regular food. (It's a treat not a meal.)

She may be just constipated and if you think that's a possibly, give her NO food and let her get rid of what she already has in her gut.

Lolacola1984
04-07-2008, 02:14 AM
Now There Are Only Two Black Skirt Tetras In The Tank With The Two Angelfish As Well As A Algae Eater... Thats It! Now There Hasnt Been Much Rummage Around The Tank And The Temp Is Between 80-81 F.
I Dont Know If Im Not Feeding Them Enough, I Dont Know If They Are Not Finding A Good Place To Lay, ( I Even Got A Rock Looking Slate For Them.... They Dont Go Near It) Sighing.... Not So Sure What To Do... They Are A Little Over Two Years Old...i Bought Them When They Were The Size Of A Dime. Not Sure If Angels Just Getto Old To Spawn? Should I Use My Separator To Block The Picosamus And The Two Other Fish From Them?

I am completely stumped! oh yeah...i just had to get this new light for the tank, it looks really dingy! uucckky! looking!

I am noticing the male is poking at the female with his mouth... ummm what does that mean>>??????
Could this be that she has impacted eggs? i believe i heard this could happen? how long should an angelfish have eggs in her?

please help

Allison

Algenco
04-07-2008, 02:31 AM
Are you certain you have a pair? A healthy pair of Angels will lay when they are ready, usually starting at 6-8 mos of age. You can't stop them other than to separate them.

nanaglen2001
04-07-2008, 06:27 AM
Algenco just picked the words right out of my mouth, the sex of Angels is a bit difficult to distinguish. If they arnt breeding, one has to take the fish into his/her hand and have a real close look.

But right now I wouldnt do anything about them, and of course dont put new Angels into your tank. This only will lead to fighting.

When uhum, you dont have those two fish any more, and if you still want to keep Angels, just buy a nice school of about 5 to 7 youngsters (if possible from different dealers) and let the animals sort themselves out. Thats the best way to get Cichlids breeding. And if its sounding strange, even fish like or dislike other fish.

Lady Hobbs
04-07-2008, 06:34 AM
You have 3 threads all the same now so I have merged them together so you have all your posts in one spot.