PDA

View Full Version : What would you do here?

Lady Hobbs
03-23-2008, 06:19 PM
When I got my firemouth and parrots (full grown) the parrots were just awful to the firemouth so she went into another tank and now she has 5 friends. I tried about a month ago to put them back together and that firemouth come tearing out of her cave, grabbed ahold of the parrots mouth and away they went.

I can't stand fighting so separated them immediately. I now really need to shuffle some fish around and would "really" like them to share a tank but am afraid to try it again. The parrots can not bite back since they can't close their mouths but are 3-4 times larger as the firemouths so can push them around pretty well. But if they can not bite back I'm afraid can't defend themselves.

Perhaps if I had left them together longer they could figure out who the boss of the tank is but I can't get myself to wait it out. I do not want injured fish!
It drives me nuts when so many have these two species together and all I have is fighting. My blood parrots are a pair so perhaps that is adding to the fricken.

What would you do in this case? Put them together one more time and see if anything improves in a couple hours or just forget it and not subject them to this stress? I would have to move out my Silver Dollars, redo the parrot tank for them, etc, so it's a big job if it won't work.

jbeining75
03-23-2008, 06:25 PM
Are the silver dollars bigger than the firemouths???? How many fish do you have in each tank Lady and what tank sizes... Sorry I couldn't find the breakdown....

Lady Hobbs
03-23-2008, 06:43 PM
Toooooooo many and that's my problem right now.

I have 9 Silver Dollars, 7 giant danios, 5 loaches and 5 Firemouths in this 55 gallon tank. My Dollars are pretty cramped up. However, they are also not huge swimmers and stick in a gob in the center of the tank all day. (They did that when they had lots more room, too.)

Oh to heck with it!

I can not going to put off getting another tank for one more month! I can't make these guys not happy because I am broke. It's not their fault, is it? This is ridiculous.

(This means I can leave the nice message on my phone for a bit longer.) LOL

My poor fish have been last on the end of the stick lately and it just isn't right! I guess I just needed to sit here and really read my own post to know what in heck I have to do to make everyone happy.

My "plan" was for a 90 gallon for the parrots, firemouths and dollars but if they don't get along, they don't get along.

Gez, Jamie, thanks for letting me sit here talking to myself. The glass of soap must have knocked some sense in my head.

jbeining75
03-23-2008, 06:49 PM
Get another 55 gallon and put the 5 Firemouths and maybe 2 or 3 barbs in there..... Leave the bp's seperate since they are paired and leave the other barbs and loaches in one tank I guess lol.......

Upto you.... Your money :c2:

nanaglen2001
03-23-2008, 07:14 PM
Maybe this will work

First put in teh Parrots and leave them allone in the tank for a few days, then add 0one FM, after a few days the next. I would start withe the weakest FM and end with the strongest.

Of course have a lot of decorations and hiding places in this tank.

Lady Hobbs
03-23-2008, 11:10 PM
That I will try! Good idea, andy. Thanks girl.

Tolley
03-23-2008, 11:17 PM
Great Idea Andrea!!

Good Luck Lady Hobbs!!