PDA

View Full Version : Buying and selling fish.

crazychristian
03-23-2008, 01:25 AM
I am having a little trouble finding some local stores to even consider buying my fish. (BTW I have not started but I am going to be breeding black clown fish). Do you guys have some suggestions on some online "stores" or places where I can sell my fish?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

Ryuu
03-23-2008, 02:00 AM
Um, im not sure of online things, but how much are you charging, fish stores will only buy cheap, I used to breed spotted mollies and no one would buy them until I lowered my price to 50 cents each

Drumachine09
03-23-2008, 02:01 AM
You wont really make much money, unless you are breeding REALLY expensive fish, or doing MASS breeding.

If you want to sell them yourself, you will make more. Try aquabid.com if you are in the states.

Wild Turkey
03-23-2008, 02:13 AM
Yea pet stores will only take fish that are free or next to free in most cases. try selling them privately

Ellen4God
03-23-2008, 02:46 AM
Welcome to AC!! thumbs2:

cocoa_pleco
03-23-2008, 02:50 AM
try ebay.

just be warned it will take alot of work to raise baby clownfish

rageybug
03-23-2008, 03:45 AM
Try www.aquabid.com

crazychristian
03-23-2008, 03:48 AM
Thanks, but are there any more sites? I have seen aqua bid, and the salt water section is rather small, and there might not be a lot of people looking there.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-23-2008, 04:01 AM
I actually check the SW section of aquabid quite often. Ebay is probably your best option, just be ready to get into shipping, local pickup only will really limit your market.

crazychristian
03-23-2008, 04:16 AM
Sorry I forgot to ask, but what is the market value of a black clown fish? I am getting a whole range of prices...

cocoa_pleco
03-23-2008, 05:32 AM
ive seen black pereculas here for $15-$30 each so you could sell some raised ones for $5-$10 probably

NickFish
03-23-2008, 01:50 PM
Um, im not sure of online things, but how much are you charging, fish stores will only buy cheap, I used to breed spotted mollies and no one would buy them until I lowered my price to 50 cents each
LUCKY!! I can't sell my livebearers for more than 25 cents!

If you try and sell online you should be able to get $10-$15, but to an lfs (if they buy them that is) it would be under $10 I think.

Getting clownfish to breed is easy, raising the fry is difficult. Unless you try this on a fairly large scale, I really can't see it being profitable. Always fun though!

crazychristian
03-23-2008, 02:37 PM
LUCKY!! I can't sell my livebearers for more than 25 cents!

If you try and sell online you should be able to get $10-$15, but to an lfs (if they buy them that is) it would be under $10 I think.

Getting clownfish to breed is easy, raising the fry is difficult. Unless you try this on a fairly large scale, I really can't see it being profitable. Always fun though!

Ya, I am doing this for fun, and I am just looking for a little money to cover the costs, and fund the hobby. But anyways, $10-$15? really? I thought I saw a little cheaper than that. So in general aquabid.com is the best place to sell my fish online?

jbeining75
03-23-2008, 02:39 PM
Craigslist or ebay........ ebay cost craigslist is free..... ebay more people will see your ads but agin it cost money..... Make sure the people you are selling to know about the shipping costs. That is the huge disadvantage to buying online.

NickFish
03-23-2008, 02:53 PM
Ya that's another thing, shipping saltwater fish isn't cheap. Make sure the people buying the fish know about the shipping costs, and make sure you have all the equipment you'll need for shipping fish. It isn't easy to ship live fish, but saltwater especially.

Pr0eve
03-23-2008, 11:27 PM
what you need to do is find a mom and pop shop to start with. sell your fish for 25% of their sale price, the store will have a 75% profit plus they save on shipping, and your fish will be 75% heather, selling your fish for 25% their price is a big savings to them, do not let them BS you. on the norm ( if it is not a big box chain ) their only making about 30% of their price if they have to buy from a main steam breeder, big box chains charge even more.

you cant sale live pets on Ebay, nor on Craigslist. so find some non big box stores to start with and do http://www.aquabid.com/, you can sale to petco, petsmart or zamzows ect ect. but you need to have your business in order before hand, do not talk to the zit headed kid on the floor, talk to the manager.

I sale my fry to a LFS that breeds their own fish, so it can be done..

your fry will have to be about 3 months old before you can safely move them for sale.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-23-2008, 11:48 PM
you cant sale live pets on Ebay,
That's not quite accurate. There are all kinds of people selling fish on ebay. I got most of my Discus from a breeder that sold on ebay.

Probably the very best place to sell livestock online would be on online forums in their classifieds section. That way you know you are definitely hitting your target market. Your average person who just wants a tank is probably not out there looking for Black Percs, however on a dedicated hobbyist site you are almost guaranteed to find someone who wants them.

doug z
03-24-2008, 12:16 AM
Where do you go to look for live pets on Ebay?

I can't find anything... :(

Curious, more than anything..

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-24-2008, 12:19 AM
Here
http://home.listings.ebay.com/Fish-Turtles-Frogs_Tropical-Fish_W0QQdfspZ32QQfromZR4QQsacatZ66795QQsocmdZList ingItemList

doug z
03-24-2008, 12:21 AM
Ok, thanks!

Pr0eve
03-24-2008, 05:29 AM
Well it is obvious as they have changed their policy, once upon a time you was not allowed to sell live pets or even the skins of dead pets like bearskin rugs. I tried to sell a bearskin rug once and Ebay took it off because it was against their policy. They must have changed it.

cocoa_pleco
03-24-2008, 05:34 AM
ebay is loaded with live SW fish and inverts for sale

its weird that your bear rug got pulled off, thats stupid

Pr0eve
03-24-2008, 05:38 AM
it is good to know that you can sale fish on there...

cocoa_pleco
03-24-2008, 05:42 AM
yeah, ebays loaded with live fish

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=saltwater+fish&category0=

crazychristian
03-24-2008, 08:28 PM
Wow! thaks, I searched ebay for live fish and I could not find any. Thanks for the links!