PDA

View Full Version : Feeding my Cichlids- What and how much?

Cichlid_Man
10-22-2006, 04:35 PM
Hi,
I am new to Cichlids and am looking for some advice on Feeding them.
Right now I am giving them small Cichlid pellets (Cichlid Gold), and every so often I give them freeze dried brine shrimp which they really love!

As they are growing, it is getting quite expensive to feed them.
They eat a lot!

What is, in your opinion, the best food for Malawi Cichlids?
How much and how often should I feed them. I have heard mixed opinions. Some say once a day and give them as much as they can eat in 2 minutes, while others say feed them smaller portions but more times each day.
Thanks for your help

NorthernBoy
10-22-2006, 05:32 PM
many malawis are primarily vege heads. bloodworms or shrimp once a week at most. buy a vege based food for them. I have used pieces of nori before. get a vege clip they will eat off tyhat. many are algae eaters too.

Cichlid_Man
10-22-2006, 08:27 PM
many malawis are primarily vege heads. bloodworms or shrimp once a week at most. buy a vege based food for them. I have used pieces of nori before. get a vege clip they will eat off that. many are algae eaters too.

Thanks for the help.
I have been giving the brine shrimp a bit more often, but I have had no bad results with my older tank Cichlids.

Cichlid pellets seem to have soy and some veggie stuff, but it also has shrimp.

I'll have to get a veg clip...
Don't know what nori is?

I was at the shop before and I picked up a Malawi Cichlid book.
Pretty intense reading in there. They even sella special Cichlid salt. Up until now I have been using regular aquarium salt, but I am going to switch to the cichlid salt.

talk to you soon!

clinko@i2k.com
11-21-2006, 02:24 AM
I have been feeding Cichlid Gold Baby & Mini Pellets. I also feed Dry Shrimp Pellets And Blood Worms. Take a frozen Chunk off. Swish around in the aquarium. Watch out for your fingers. They love it. I feed the Bloodworms just befor a water change. This way my water quality stays great. My fish are thriving. I do a 10 percent water change once a week. Good Luck from clinko:19: :19:

Fishguy2727
11-21-2006, 03:06 AM
Mbunas are herbivorous, so the main diet should be either Hikari Excel or New Life Spectrum. If it is NLS that's all you need. If it's Hikari Excel you can supplement with dark green lettuce, peas, and zucchini. High protein foods should be avoided as these fish are not made for it and it will cause malawi bloat. Water changes should be 50-75% weekly. It should take them about 3-5 minutes to eat. I would feed at least twice a day.

If they are not mbunas than the diet will be different.

NorthernBoy
11-21-2006, 05:40 AM
I agree with reptile. A high protien feeding should be once a week at most. (ie bloodworms, shrimp, krill, tubefex) but you should also skip a FEEDING ONCE A WEEK. i have followed this fairly religiously with all my fish and have had positive results.

kimmers318
11-21-2006, 01:35 PM
Hubby only feeds his mbuna spirulina flake, usually twice daily, but once if life gets too busy. They will pick at the rocks in between. I then offer zucchini or cukes when I pick them up for my fish and they love that! His must be pretty healthy since we have several demasoni fry, and a couple of acei fry in there currently. Now he just has to figure out what he is going to do with the fry since there is no way he can continue to add fish at a rate of 2-4 every couple of weeks!

Cichlid_Man
12-01-2006, 04:46 PM
Hubby only feeds his mbuna spirulina flake, usually twice daily, but once if life gets too busy. They will pick at the rocks in between. I then offer zucchini or cukes when I pick them up for my fish and they love that! His must be pretty healthy since we have several demasoni fry, and a couple of acei fry in there currently. Now he just has to figure out what he is going to do with the fry since there is no way he can continue to add fish at a rate of 2-4 every couple of weeks!

I just saw this post. I have been busy.

Tell me about the veggies you feed the cichlids?
I have heard a lot about this.
Do you dry it out first? How?
Does it cloud water??

Fishguy2727
12-01-2006, 07:34 PM
Zucchini, dark green lettuces, and squashed peas should all be good additions to an herbivores diet. Just put them in fresh and rinsed. You may need to rubberband them to a rock or get a veggie clip, plastic clip with a suction cup. They don't cloud up the water, unless they were in there for days and not eaten.

Hevydevy
12-06-2006, 12:32 AM
So do I just buy a whole zucchini and rubber band it to something or do I cut it up first? If so, how big should the pieces be?

f1oored
12-06-2006, 01:25 AM
You have to cut the zucchini first. Just cut a slice and use a veg clip to stick it to the side of your tank. You LFS should have veggie clips with suction cups on them for just this kind of thing.

Fishguy2727
12-06-2006, 03:55 AM
I usually cut the zucchini into quarters lenght wise, then in to ~4" sections. obviously this depends on how many herbivores you are feeding.

jeffs99dime
12-06-2006, 03:13 PM
when i feed my fish veggies, i blanch them first so they become soft.