PDA

View Full Version : Goldfish with curved spine

carebear
03-22-2008, 09:45 PM
Hi - I'm new at this! My fancy goldfish's spine seems to be curving and he's having trouble swimming (starting to float upside down). Does anyone know what he could have? If so, what can I give him to make him better, if anything? HELP!!

Tolley
03-22-2008, 09:49 PM
Could be old age, How old is he?

If not could be Fish TB this is very dangerous, do not put any bare cuts in the water as in can pass onto humans. If it is i think its best to euthansize the fish to stop it spreading to your other fishes.

Read this link http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/disease/tbc.php

carebear
03-22-2008, 09:58 PM
Thanks so much! I purchased the fish about 6 mos. ago and he is definitely a younger fish. I had no idea that this could spread to humans. YIKES! He's also my favorite... :ssad:

angelcakes
03-22-2008, 10:02 PM
i also agree with tolley.its the best thing :ssad:

Fishalicious
03-22-2008, 10:09 PM
Sounds like Scoliosis - curving of the spine due to bad nutrition (could have been when he was born)

Tolley
03-22-2008, 10:13 PM
Read through the link it might not be.

Good post Jess i forgot about that.

carebear
03-22-2008, 10:29 PM
Tolley, I read the link and it was quite helpful. I had introduced (about 2 mos. ago) a new goldfish. He died with a curved spine about 5 days after I bought him. No one at the fish store seemed to have any advice for me. So, I purchased another. It died of the same thing very quickly again. I now have new fish (5 black tetras, 6 blood finned tetras) all in the tank with my goldie. They've all been healthy for a couple of mos. The goldie is actually swimming quite heartily at the moment. Although, I've noticed that his skin in some spots, is light purple in colour. The curve (end of and before the actual fanned out tail begins) is imperceptibly curving. I should point out that I'm not sure if that light purple colour was there before. However, after reading the article, I noticed his skin colour. I also don't see bumps as desribed in the article. So, do you think I should give him another day just to be sure? I would think it will worsen at a quick rate now, if indeed, that is what he has? Then, as the article suggests, I should probably 'clean out' the tank entirely.

Tolley
03-22-2008, 10:31 PM
Go for it. Do a large waterchange and watch the other fishes behaviour.

carebear
03-22-2008, 10:37 PM
Thanks Tolley! I change my water religiously once a week at 20%. Just changed it again today along with a scrub down of the walls and gravel washing with the water pump. (I do this every week as well) I clean my decorations too. I have two sets and put the clean, dry ones in after my water change. One thing that I do which may not be the best (I haven't seen any bad results so far), I clean the decorations with a little bleach in the water. I rinse the decorations thoroughly and let them dry until the next week. Do you think this is a bad idea?

carebear
03-22-2008, 10:38 PM
PS - This is a fantastically helpful forum and I thank everyone for their help!

Ellen4God
03-22-2008, 10:41 PM
I wouldn't clean my decorations every week. You need to allow for the beneficial bacteria to grow in your tank, and it grows on your decorations as well as your gravel and in your filter. If you're constantly cleaning your decorations, then you're killing off that bacteria. Does that make sense?

If you're concerned about algae growth, you can see about getting a couple otos or a pleco (depending on your tank size). But, you do need to let that bacteria grow. I wouldn't do as much cleaning until you know for sure what's going on with your goldfish. Water changes are great - definitely do those!

Tolley
03-22-2008, 10:42 PM
The bleach should be fine a slong as its only partly bleach. and if you let them dry out for a week. Though there is no ened to clean the decor unless you really want to. Only clean half the gravel at one time - to not kill off all the beneficial bacteria. Everything else sounds good.

Yes this forum is awesome!

Edd
05-07-2012, 11:18 AM
I acquired my goldfish for 16years now and within the past 18-24 months it's back has arched and floats belly up on the surface and within the past 2 months black marks have started to appear over its fins and body and the scales have started to flair like a fir cone.

This morning I went down to feed it and found it gulping for air at the bottom.

ScottishFish
05-07-2012, 11:44 AM
This post is over 4 years old. Better to start your own thread if you have a problem

Aeonflame
05-07-2012, 11:53 AM
Please start a new thread detailing your problem. Bumping older threads is not permitted.

Thanks.