PDA

View Full Version : Expensive in fish store.

Eric_marchi
03-22-2008, 08:10 PM
I was wondering about why fish stores charge so much for driftwood and rock couldnt I just goto the beach or rivers and grab some wood and rock there? what is the difference between finding my own materials or buying them from the store. also if i grab some wood from the beach or something what should i do to prepare it before putting it in the fish tank. also what is a vinegar test?

LosC
03-22-2008, 08:17 PM
You should always thoroughly clean your rock with hot water, scrub it, or you could just boil it. To do a vinegar test you simply drop some vinegar on a rock and if it fizzes on the rock than it's no good for your tank.

jbeining75
03-22-2008, 08:18 PM
Because alot of people don't think about going to get it themselves. The LFS I go to sells driftwood like crazy. He is always getting new driftwood in.

Rue
03-22-2008, 08:23 PM
Supply and demand. Not enough of a demand to bring prices down.

I'd prefer to buy driftwood tool. I know that the wood is tank-safe, so I don't have to worry or guess about it. I can also get pieces I like the look of.

I felt stupid buying rocks, but they had the look I wanted. I still haven't seen any rock just laying around with the same look...

Eric_marchi
03-22-2008, 08:37 PM
i dont know to me it just seems weird to goto a store and pay 20 bux for a small peice of wood which i could just go get at some river or beach. just think you go outside and fire up some propane burner and put the wood in some lobster pot and have a beer. what could be more fun. hehe.

Eric_marchi
03-22-2008, 08:38 PM
especially if your looking for many peices. i could see it costing me around 300 bux for just wood. and then ill have to pay taxes.

Arkie
03-23-2008, 12:51 AM
ive never bought wood or rocks cause i find my own but i know lots of people that do buy it. i think alot of people dont know thats its just as easy to find your own, or theyre concerned bout putting things from the "wild" into the tank in fear of introducing nasty things in there. everybody has their own ideas on whats safe and whats not. i knew this one lady that wouldnt put anything in her tank if it didnt come from the LFS cause of this reason... and she would pay loads of money for the stuff too.

sailor
03-23-2008, 12:57 AM
Not everyone is within shouting distance of a good beach or river to collect driftwood so the lfs's have a pretty good lock in the market for it. I refuse to spend what they want for rock tho. I get most of my rockwork from landscape supply places or a good nursery.

doug z
03-23-2008, 01:02 AM
Landscape supply.. Good idea!

If I can't find any good granite in the mountains and riverbeds this Spring I'll check out those kinds of places..

What's a nursery, though?

The kind of driftwood I want comes from Malaysia.. Not much of that showing up on the coast of BC, so.. :)

sailor
03-23-2008, 01:12 AM
A plant and tree nursery. Some of them sell rockwork, gravel, sand etc.

doug z
03-23-2008, 01:57 AM
Hmmm.. Dunno if we have any of those around here..

That or a landscaping supply outfit, come to think about it..

Worth looking into..

Ryuu
03-24-2008, 09:28 PM
This gives me Ideas lol I think I jsut might have to go outised and look for some things... my tank looks very un-natural and maybe this will help

xoolooxunny
03-24-2008, 10:36 PM
I took an ax to an old cedar tree stump and pulled the aged root out of the ground. It looks like real driftwood, and if i could find the cord for my camera id have my pics up!! Its a huge piece that looks like it would cost a heck of a lot online, its almost 3 ft across and about a foot high!

Collin1104
03-27-2008, 04:10 AM
it makes no sense to me how the rocks can be more expensive than the fish.. after my first adventure for rocks in the wild, i find myself on a daily basis passing a rock and thinking to myself how cool it is.. is this weird? lol anyways ive never thought of going to the beach to collect.. even though i live in florida

Halelorf
03-27-2008, 11:49 AM
after my first adventure for rocks in the wild, i find myself on a daily basis passing a rock and thinking to myself how cool it is.. is this weird?

This same thing caused me to be a geology major :19:! It is not weird at all.

henryscat
12-16-2008, 04:35 PM
Landscape supply.. Good idea!

If I can't find any good granite in the mountains....

My friend is a stonemason and told me that granite is radioactive!? Is this safe to be putting in a tank with some fishies???

Oh and the price of the driftwood is because they treat it etc. So your not just paying for the wood, your paying for the processes that it's been through (kinda like when you buy an album - you aint just paying for a blank CD). But yeah they are still far too expensive. But as said above, not everyone lives near some water.

Nightside_Eclipse
12-16-2008, 05:15 PM
This gives me Ideas lol I think I jsut might have to go outised and look for some things... my tank looks very un-natural and maybe this will help

+1 It's more natural looking when it's ya know... NATURAL! lol ;-)

Plus you almost always end up with nice little stories that accompany each rock and other little tidbit you find ("I fell on my @&^# into 60 degree water reaching for this one" "I almost got bitten by a water moccasin reaching for this one" etc) haha

kevvy2k
12-16-2008, 05:45 PM
My 9 year old son had a blast when he and I went down to the river and scouted for rocks, as for driftwood ,well alot of it is pine and I dont think pine would be good.I will however look for oak trees near the river when the weather warms up.The other day I was working,driving a street sweeper,and there were some rocks in my way,I got out and was gonna throw them to the side but it was lava rock and they looked cool so I loaded them up.My co-worker was lookin at me funny so I told him" aquarium rocks" lol he just shook his head.thumbs2:

Algenco
12-16-2008, 05:51 PM
My friend is a stonemason and told me that granite is radioactive!? Is this safe to be putting in a tank with some fishies???

Oh and the price of the driftwood is because they treat it etc. So your not just paying for the wood, your paying for the processes that it's been through (kinda like when you buy an album - you aint just paying for a blank CD). But yeah they are still far too expensive. But as said above, not everyone lives near some water.

never heard of any treatments done by suppliers.

Shipping is probably the biggest factor in cost.

They charge because they can, no competition.

I'm lucky to live on a large fresh water lake that has been drawn down 40'+ for dam repairs exposing stumps that have been submerged for over 50 yrs:hmm3grin2orange:

henryscat
12-16-2008, 08:26 PM
I live in scotland - it doesn't stop raining enough to expose that amount of a loch. I tried to go to a local reservoir where my dad is sure there is loads of driftwood, but the single track road turned to pure ice halfway up :(

looks like i need to try again in the summer.

stubbytheplecostomus
12-19-2008, 04:51 AM
i buy all my gravel and silica sand from menards, the rocks from a patio supply shop and i get all my driftwood from the banks of the minnesota river, the only problem i have with collected drift wood is that the local species of trees don't have very dense wood so i find myself figuring out ways to anchor the wood to the bottom (i like to glue the wood to a piece of flat plastic then bury the plastic in the gravel) Also micheals craft store has much more realistic looking fake plants that hold up well in aquariums

an old post but shows the fake plants and rocks well
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=9268&d=1214459221

henryscat
12-19-2008, 02:33 PM
I love the look of that tank. Very natural.
The rock on the left must weigh a hell of a lot tho surely?

What are the plants that are like reeds on the bottom? Sharp ends? I like the look of them.

stubbytheplecostomus
12-19-2008, 03:08 PM
i dunno what they are supposed to be but they sell them in 1ftx1ft mats at Micheals it works great in tanks with fry to

Lady Hobbs
12-19-2008, 04:03 PM
i buy all my gravel and silica sand from menards, the rocks from a patio supply shop and i get all my driftwood from the banks of the minnesota river, the only problem i have with collected drift wood is that the local species of trees don't have very dense wood so i find myself figuring out ways to anchor the wood to the bottom (i like to glue the wood to a piece of flat plastic then bury the plastic in the gravel) Also micheals craft store has much more realistic looking fake plants that hold up well in aquariums

an old post but shows the fake plants and rocks well
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=9268&d=1214459221

That tank is lovely and those plants do not look fake at all. Don't you miss the fertilizers, co2, hair algae, diatoms, black beard algae, trimming plants....etc, etc. YA RIGHT!

piper_chuck
12-30-2008, 03:20 PM
I took an ax to an old cedar tree stump and pulled the aged root out of the ground. It looks like real driftwood, and if i could find the cord for my camera id have my pics up!! Its a huge piece that looks like it would cost a heck of a lot online, its almost 3 ft across and about a foot high!

What a great idea! The woods around my house are loaded with cedars and I know I've pulled down a few dead ones that were standing. It's supposed to be 60 degrees and sunny today, I think I'm going foraging in the woods for some cedar stumps.

Northernguy
12-30-2008, 04:11 PM
I have always got my rocks and driftwood in the wild.
I refuse to pay 50 bucks for a piece of wood or rock.What a scam!
If you live in an area with mines, you should be careful what rocks you get.We have Uranium here.I travel a couple of hours North to get rocks and wood. I don't want my fish to glow in the dark!

lovleeko
12-30-2008, 05:52 PM
Supply and demand. Not enough of a demand to bring prices down.

I'd prefer to buy driftwood tool. I know that the wood is tank-safe, so I don't have to worry or guess about it. I can also get pieces I like the look of.

I felt stupid buying rocks, but they had the look I wanted. I still haven't seen any rock just laying around with the same look...

I agree. The only thing about the rocks at my LFs is that they just say assorted rock and I really would prefer to know what kind it is. But when I read about all the stuff that you have to go through with finding driftwood and how long it takes, sort of makes me only ever want to buy it.

lovleeko
12-30-2008, 05:55 PM
I have always got my rocks and driftwood in the wild.
I refuse to pay 50 bucks for a piece of wood or rock.What a scam!
If you live in an area with mines, you should be careful what rocks you get.We have Uranium here.I travel a couple of hours North to get rocks and wood. I don't want my fish to glow in the dark!

The price isn't that bad at the LFS I go too. Everything else is though LOL The fish are priced well and the rock is like 1.99 a pound. The driftwood is priced good too. Though I might try my own during the summer time. But right now BRRRR

Commodore 64
12-30-2008, 10:10 PM
This same thing caused me to be a geology major :19:! It is not weird at all.

Same here!

HomaridNoob6
01-14-2009, 02:27 AM
When i was younger i used to go collect driftwood all the time from the local beaches/ rivers. I actually used to sell and trade it to my LFS, a great one that unfortunately closed about 5 years ago :(

I used to treat it by just soaking it for a month or two in a big ol tub in my backyard.

I would boil the pieces for at least 15 minutes each before soaking and after. I was probably overdoing it, but i didnt wanna make the owner of my LFS mad by supplying him with bad product, or for that matter mess up someone else's tank. My reasoning behind this was, boil it first to kill whatever it came in with, let it soak until it sinks and stops yellowing the water, then boil it again to kill whatever it could have picked up being outside soaking. I dried out some pieces after, and left some pieces soaked. The owner of my old LFS i sold them to had a tank he kept wet driftwood in, he would also attach java moss/ferns to some of the pieces. and he had a bin for all the dry stuff.

Funnily enough i did exactly what Eric Marchi suggested "just think you go outside and fire up some propane burner and put the wood in some lobster pot and have a beer. what could be more fun. hehe." And it was fun, I loved it.

I guess I'm very lucky in this manner where i live, i can go north to a beautiful estuary that has great bogwood pieces, i can go west about 4 blocks to the beaches for nice driftwood, I can go south for great driftwood, and beautiful jade!

(a bit off the subject)
Since i am a pretty big collector of jade I would say be very careful with jade, it can have deposits of a lot of different minerals and CAN be REALLY bad to put in a tank, just depends on the piece. For my jade pieces i always do a fully submersed fizz test, if you see so much as a bubble or two start fizzing up don't use it(after you have made sure no air bubbles are left to rise!). Some deposits may not be easily visible but even a small crack you can't see can be a big problem, it will release whatever is inside REALLY slowly and wont always show if you just put an acid on the outside of the rock. It can contain a large array of other substances, a lot of which i would not want in my tank.

tim k
01-18-2009, 12:30 PM
I am fortunate to live close to the Niagara escarpment.
It is loaded with fallen trees and very nice rock.

My old 110 gallon Cichlid tank was filled with local rock and it looked great.
My only cost was the time and effort to go get it and clean it properly.

I myself would be very concerned about taking any wood out of any lakes that you may live near simply do to the pollution in the water.

I would never use a piece of wood from lake Ontario because of how badly it is polluted and that is sad.

I would prefer to look for wood that has fallen in forest then you simply have to clean it and sink it for a while to get it ready for use.

Tim K